FT: Homebrew Rye IPA ISO: Your homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aiptasia

Reaction score
I was so disappointed not to find any offers of homebrew trading in this sub-forum (at least not on page one). Screw all the commercial beers. Let's start something simple: A single 12 oz. bottle for your 12 oz. bottle.

I have a nice little Double Rye IPA that's ready to be sampled by someone. Anyone have another IPA, RIS or scotch wee heavy to trade?

Simple. One bottle for one bottle. Tape the cap to the neck, wrap it up in some bubble wrap, stick it in a small box and mail it out with delivery confirmation.

Anyone game?:mug:

I have a a barley wine that was aged for 11 months then dry hopped for 2 weeks and bottled. I am up for a swap.

aiptasia said:
Alrighty, getting some interest now. Anyone else game?

Sounds like a blast. I have a Rye as well, a Citra hopped IPA (deeeelish) and a stout in primary as well as a super hopped Amarillo, Simcoe, and Columbus dry hopping right now but will be bottled next weekend.

My question... How do you ship a bottle? Never done it before so I'm no expert at it. Also, anyone closer to the west coast? Noticed most of you east coast :-(

divrguy said:
Sounds like a blast. I have a Rye as well, a Citra hopped IPA (deeeelish) and a stout in primary as well as a super hopped Amarillo, Simcoe, and Columbus dry hopping right now but will be bottled next weekend.

My question... How do you ship a bottle? Never done it before so I'm no expert at it. Also, anyone closer to the west coast? Noticed most of you east coast :-(

I'm in Texas, not that close, but not too far!

One of three ways: USPS, Fedex or UPS will all ship them. For small shipments, I like to use USPS medium sized flat rate priority mail boxes. For mine, I tape the cap/cork to the neck with electrical tape (sticks better on glass) and then wrap the bottles in a layer of bubble wrap before putting them into the shipping box. Fill any void space with packing peanuts, newspaper or whatever ya got, and then slap a label on it and ship it.

Technically, you're not supposed to ship alcohol without disclosing it but i've never been asked by any shipper what's in the box. If I ever was asked, i'd just respond with "yeast samples" and leave it at that. I prefer using the USPS flat rate boxes because they're cheap to ship, usually 2-3 day delivery time (but up to 2 weeks) and the tracking # is free. Also, my local post office has an after hours package drop box for small packages, so I can drop off boxes before or after work. Their website also makes it very handy to print postage and a shipping label right from home.

rhinoceroceros said:
I've got a ginger wheat that's ready to drink and an imperial stout fermenting, willing to do some trades

I'll trade a hopped Amarillo, Simcoe, Columbus for an imperial stout. I just bottled today. It won't be ready for 3 weeks. I'll set a calendar reminder and send you a message in 3 if you're in.

aiptasia said:
I was so disappointed not to find any offers of homebrew trading in this sub-forum (at least not on page one). Screw all the commercial beers. Let's start something simple: A single 12 oz. bottle for your 12 oz. bottle.

I have a nice little Double Rye IPA that's ready to be sampled by someone. Anyone have another IPA, RIS or scotch wee heavy to trade?

Simple. One bottle for one bottle. Tape the cap to the neck, wrap it up in some bubble wrap, stick it in a small box and mail it out with delivery confirmation.

Anyone game?:mug:

Also, my hopped IPA for your rye.. I'll send you a message in 3 weeks when it's done conditioning.

divrguy said:
I'll trade a hopped Amarillo, Simcoe, Columbus for an imperial stout. I just bottled today. It won't be ready for 3 weeks. I'll set a calendar reminder and send you a message in 3 if you're in.

Sounds good, I'm going to bottle that stout next weekend so it should be ready right around the same time

I have a rye IPA that scored 39 in a competition a couple weeks ago that I'd be willing to trade. Although to be fair, I don't think the rye is particularly prominent...you have to be looking for it to notice it IMO.

weirdboy said:
I have a rye IPA that scored 39 in a competition a couple weeks ago that I'd be willing to trade. Although to be fair, I don't think the rye is particularly prominent...you have to be looking for it to notice it IMO.

I'll trade a hop bomb for yours too. I just finished my last rye last night. It only had about 12% rye in it but it was a great rye and I need to make a new batch soon. My pipeline has about run out. I mis-timed my last batches. I usually have some coming out of condition before I actually run out but a nephews wedding and a few visits from relatives wiped me out! Lol

I have a bourbon barrel porter I'd be willing to trade someone for a barleywine or some other beer to age. I should note that it's the faux version; oak cubes and Maker's Mark in the secondary...

10/20/12 bottles left
Six 12 oz
Twelve 22 oz

I'll trade a hop bomb for yours too. I just finished my last rye last night. It only had about 12% rye in it but it was a great rye and I need to make a new batch soon. My pipeline has about run out. I mis-timed my last batches. I usually have some coming out of condition before I actually run out but a nephews wedding and a few visits from relatives wiped me out! Lol

Uh, I just screwed up. I totally forgot about this thread and now I have probably less than a pint left in the bottom of my keg. :drunk:

I will make it again, though...that was a very tasty brew. I have another IPA in the pipeline that's going to take that tap in another week or two, but it's a new recipe that I just wrote for a sort of competition in my brew club where we are trying to clone a local brew.

Back