Anyone brewing on Turkey Day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snyder

Reaction score
My father-in-law is coming over early to smoke us a turkey. Thought I'd pickup a Brewers Best kit to give me something to do while we wait. Anyone else?

Brewing Saturday and Sunday ... SWMBO would lynch me being stuck in the house with my relatives ... I don't even want to be there .;)

Brewing a winter ale on Thursday, and driving out to an apple farm on Saturday to pick up 5 gallons of pressed apples to make cider.

Brewing an Indian Black Ale and SNPA clone on Friday - SWMBO would shoot me if I tried to brew on Turkey Day :eek:

Having turkey day a day early, and I will be brewing 10 gallons of RIS with my brother. Good times.

Gonna try to brew Saturday if I can get my candi syrup done in time.

I'm brewing thursday. Some kind of APA.

trying to figure out what I can cook, foodwise. I don't have much room in my kitchen and don't want to be in there all day with beer/food. But I would like to do something a little nicer then a can of black beans. Maybe I'll do biscuits and gravy.....

I'll be frying a turkey in my BK on turkey day.

Then bottle 5 gals of apfelwien and 5 gals of haus pale ale on Friday.

Then brew a 5 gal batch of IPA using my same BK on saturday. It will probably get named TIPA (Turkey IPA)... :D

I am not sure how much time I'll have this weekend. We are going away on Thursday and probably staying till Sat morning. I might be able to brew Sat. afternoon or Sunday, but have no plans made so far. I am interested in brewing an IPA or a Blonde. I have crushed grains for that blonde, so I may as well use them.

Brewing my (just named) Black Friday Robust Porter Friday morning. I am going to start at 4am.

Putting together my favorite Oatmeal Stout for a 10 gal batch. Will start weighing out grains Thurs morning. Yeah Baby.

Hopefully brewing on Sat. - EdWort's Brewery IPA.... for my brother's visit at Xmas. (Pushing the done-ness envelope a bit.)

I plan on frying a turkey as well. Any problem using the same brew pot to fry a turkey? Don't want turkey flavored beer the next time I brew...

Well there's some debate as to whether or not there will be enough residual oil left in the pot to affect the beer's head retention. I don't feel like taking any chances so my kettle is a dedicated brew kettle and I'll be using another pot my brother borrowed from his restaurant.

I plan on frying a turkey as well. Any problem using the same brew pot to fry a turkey? Don't want turkey flavored beer the next time I brew...

I have done it. Absolutely no problems. Assuming aluminum: wash it with a green scrubby, hot water, and dawn; soak it with hot PBW (not oxiclean); rinse well; boil some water in it to re-establish the oxide layer. If you see a sheen, you did not get all the oil out.

Brew day started at 9am. Mashed in at 10:30. 42 lbs of grain! My biggest grain bill yet. We had turkey day last night. Ground the grain last night as well. Hoping to have it in the carboys early today.

Back