pumping from fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoman

Reaction score
I've been thinking about the use of Brute trash cans for fermenting (see BYO May/June 2009) and am wondering how you'd siphon when the bottom of the fermenter is at ground level. I'd prefer to pump it and am interested in what kind of pumps people use for moving cold side wort/beer. I know there are submersible pumps, but this would seem like too big a sanitation issue what with the inside and outside of the pump being exposed. For an external pump the issue seems to be starting the siphon/priming when the pump is at ground level and has to pump up and over the rim of the fermenter. Anyway, y'all got any comments from similar setups? Sure would make my 1 bbl batches easier to deal with.

Chris

I'm not sure of anyone using pumps to transfer after fermentation. Generally people either gravity feed or use Co2 to push. Are you lining the trashcan with anything?

I will be investing in one of these:

1. SELF PRIMING PUMP WITH VARIABLE SPEED @ Williams Brewing

J85.JPG

-OR-

2. Self-Priming Diaphragm Pump for Beer Transfers | MoreBeer

phpThumb.php

I plan to make a little transfer station in a tool box like many here have done. Both of these pumps draw a vacuum and self prime. They use a diaphragm so the action is gentle to avoid "beating up" the wort, beer, or wine. Siphoning will be a thing of the past. :rockin:

BK - cool, that's what I was thinking in my mind

con, seems like a waste of co2 to me unless there's no other way to do it sanitarily (is that a word). Plus, not getting a great seal with the trash cans ans co2 would likely push out the side.

thanks!

I don't believe there would be an oxidation concern. Diaphragm pumps are positive displacement so they do not "beat up" or collide with the liquid. This design has much lower chance of cavitation or induction of air. As long as you have no air leaks in you hosing, O2 should not be a problem (at least as far as my research has turned up).

Back