Banana's Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobjohnson77

Reaction score
I have a simple hefe in a primary right now and it smells like banana's is that normal for a hefe? the shiner I did smelled a little yeasty but not bad the hefe is fairly strong. this is my second session so i'm very new. Also the Apple wine i have going doesn't seem to give off much scent either a little yeasty appleish but I expect that.:ban::ban::ban:

a strong banana, clove, or bubblegum flavor can come from weisse yeast when fermented at higher temperatures (above 68F). That's what you're smelling. I'd try to ferment it at around 63 or so. Personally I like a little banana flavor in my wheat beer. I'm sure you'll love it.

:mug:

Just to expound a little. Hefeweisen yeast strains tend to develop clove and banana flavors, in differing amounts and balance depending upon the temperature, but its the yeast strain not the temperature that's responsible.

For example, if you fermented a White Labs London Ale in a bitters at 70 degrees, you wouldn't normally get any banana (or clove) aroma.

And there are differences in Hefeweisen strains. I recently tried the White Labs Hefeweisen Ale yeast (WLP300) in a dunkelweisen and it turned out very nice, with a subtle aroma of bananas.

In any case, its always great to experiment and try new ingredients, techniques, processes, and see what comes out! Cheers! :mug:

Wyeast 3068 produces strong bananas (at least when fermented around 75 F). I have a tall one in front of me right now! I love it.

In fact, I cleared a batch with gelatin (attempting a Kristall) and I like the first, strongly banana, better.

I've got an american honey weizen in the primary right now and it smells like banana pudding! I'm actually shocked at how strong the banana smell is. the krausen was very large and fluffy, almost like a milkshake. I've got great fermentation control in a kegerator with digital contoller, with thermocouple in the stopper, etc. holding steady at 67 deg. Fermometer on the carboy confirms the temp.

Question: I thought that only the german weizen yeasts had this kind of effect, is this so or am I stoopid? I'm using the WYeast 1010 American Wheat. Maybe the honey fermentation is effecting the aroma? It's really prominent - like when I taste it I'm expecting banana milkshake or something...

Pangea

FWIW - Wyeast 3068 is the Weihenstephaner strain and produces MASSIVE banana and bubblegum flavors at higher temps. Some people may like such large ester profiles but it is out of style and many people will find it overbearing and a detractant from the beer.

Fermenting this strain around 63-65 is a good banana range, I like it down at 60 to bring out a bit more clove spiciness.

Also note that this strain is a strong fermenter and I have seen between 8-10ºF temp rise int he fermenter over ambient. If your closet is at 70, your beer is likely at 80.

You will still be fine, and maybe you will like it. Live and learn, that is part of the hobby.

Back