First year yield?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
I understand that the first year, the hop vine might grow 5 feet or might grow 20 depending on various things. But assuming I put them in a well-lit spot and did everything well, does anybody have any guess at what a 1 year yield would be for a cascade or other quick-growing hop plant?

I'm definitely interested in growing hops but I may be moving after this year and if there's not a good chance of me getting many hops my first year I might elect to wait until I'm a bit more settled down. I understand that there's a lot that factors into it and you can't really give me a solid answer, but I would appreciate it if you guys would try. Is it uncommon to get, say, 3/4 lb of cascades your first year (from one plant)?

ANY hops you get your first year are generally considered a bonus. Its best to go in not expecting anything and you may or may not be pleasantly surprised.

That would be a pretty epic first year crop, 1/4 lb is pretty good for a first year. You may as well go ahead and get them started this year, if you move just take them with you. The established crown that you take with you will start a lot more vigorous than just a rhizome.
-ander

If your going to move, you may want to consider planting it in a planter to get it started this year. Most of the first year is the hop plant establishing its root system. I used half whiskey barrels for my two sets of hops and they did fine for the first year. I am going to plant mine in the ground sometime this year or next.

I got 2 ounces from my first year Cenntennial and I was psyched..to get 3/4 a pound you should plant around 9 or 10 plants??

It's the second year that u will be much happier..and than the third year...even happier..Before u know it you have way too much hops and you are giving them away to friends.

J

i had 8 (first year) plants last year. Seven made it. I got about 2 oz. TOTAL.

So, needless to say... I am hoping for better luck this year!

All the plants that made it were very healthy, good light, good growing area. All made it the whole way up my 15' tall ropes, and the cascade made it even further!

Good luck.

My Fuggles grew everybit of 20' with several bines. Once everything was done and dried I ended up with .3oz.

I've had a similar experience.... 4 hop plants, 3 survived, maybe 1/2 ounce of hops with little lupulin. 2nd year got around 8 ounces from one plant, 2 from another, others didn't produce much.

Latest posts

Back