Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting how he went for authenticity but still used ungerminated corn and filtered the Chicha to brilliant clarity. What a disgusting yet interesting episode.

Made me want to spit in my mash tun!! :D

I watched to see what yeast he used and they never mentioned it. Would have thought he would have brought some back from Peru!

That is his truck!

I really don't understand why you dont think this is his truck?!?! Hes had it for years. This is the same truck that he has driven since he has started DFH.

Because the show is totally fake. Everything about it is fake. the truck, the high fives, there's actually not even a brewery called Dogfish head. There's no Sam either. This show is actually an M. Night Shyamalan production, and there's going to be a big surprise at the end. He'll reveal that Sam is just a delusional schizo who THINKS he's brewing beer, but he's really just in his own dream world inside a mental institute.

Seriously though, there's gotta be someone who puts it down. I'm wondering when people are gonna realize that they can just CHANGE THE CHANNEL. If you don't like the show, just change it. I love when I tell people i brew my own beer and they say, "oh, I just watched a show about brewing beer". Can't we just be proud that a fellow homebrewer made it to the point where he's on TV doing what he loves to do, and what WE ALL love to do? He's out there showing the world what we all do. Okay, he's a little quirky about it, but I for one like the show. Sure beats sitting through Kendra, or Jersey shore.

Before anybody says it, of course you have the right to your opinion. Save it.

I have 2 things to say.
1. I wish I was as happy as Sam is at my job.
2. If you haven't already, I would suggest reading his book. It's interesting, especially if you're into beer and brewing, and you really get a great sense of Sam's personality. He truely loves what he does. And I'm pretty sure that truck is the one he drove when he started the brewery.
That is all.

Woah!! You mean there are HBTies who don't get stoked watching Sam on TV? The guy opened a brew pub on his Sabco system, he had to petition the legislature to open the thing because at the time, it was illegal.

Unbelievable!!:confused:

Interesting new episode. I think the show is heading down a bad road and will end up like deadliest catch or iceroad truckers...but I'll still watch it. He does some crazy stuff.

By the reactions of some of the people drinking it, I'd be interested in trying it. I doubt his employees will like if he goes large-scale with it, though.

Interesting new episode. I think the show is heading down a bad road and will end up like deadliest catch or iceroad truckers...but I'll still watch it. He does some crazy stuff.

By the reactions of some of the people drinking it, I'd be interested in trying it. I doubt his employees will like if he goes large-scale with it, though.

Just offerin' my opinion, the show sux monkey ballz. Just sayin'..

It's now my favorite show. I look forward to tonights Punkin & Portamarillo . Can't wait to find out why the 120 was held up. I'll have to wait till next week on that. I'd like to see more on the history of beer, I think St. Patrick, the beers of Belgium Monks and fasting, the landing on Plymouth Rock, Louis Pastuer, There is a lot of information that can be presented .Thanks Sam

Because the show is totally fake. Everything about it is fake. the truck, the high fives, there's actually not even a brewery called Dogfish head. There's no Sam either. This show is actually an M. Night Shyamalan production, and there's going to be a big surprise at the end. He'll reveal that Sam is just a delusional schizo who THINKS he's brewing beer, but he's really just in his own dream world inside a mental institute.

Seriously though, there's gotta be someone who puts it down. I'm wondering when people are gonna realize that they can just CHANGE THE CHANNEL. If you don't like the show, just change it. I love when I tell people i brew my own beer and they say, "oh, I just watched a show about brewing beer". Can't we just be proud that a fellow homebrewer made it to the point where he's on TV doing what he loves to do, and what WE ALL love to do? He's out there showing the world what we all do. Okay, he's a little quirky about it, but I for one like the show. Sure beats sitting through Kendra, or Jersey shore.

Before anybody says it, of course you have the right to your opinion. Save it.

Well said my friend.

I like the show a lot.

But, there is one annoying part of this(and in other reality shows) is the "need" to ALWAYS have some type of deadline to meet. For example, in last nights show...he needed to get the Chicha out to his own brewpub in a short period of time(3 weeks?). Why not just plan to have it finished one week later? It is his brewpub and he makes the rules, so delay it by one week.

I also understand that this deadline stuff, in its own way, does make the reality shows more interesting.

Ok, I'm done and will be watching Monday's episode.

I love the show!! Sam is such a likeable guy and you want him to succeed. If you guys have seen Beer Wars( a great documentary) you know what I mean. Plus, I've got to give the guy props for still brewing his own beer @ home just like the rest of us. I don't understand the need to put the guy down. It's just T.V. They edit these shows so they have a story to them. Otherwise is just boring life as usual, like the rest of us :cross:

I thought I heard a new episode was tonight. Glad I wasn't delusional.
Thanks.

I like the show a lot.

But, there is one annoying part of this(and in other reality shows) is the "need" to ALWAYS have some type of deadline to meet.

I read/heard somewhere (maybe even in this thread) that he didn't want the fake infighting and drama that shows like choppers has between the characters to fuel the show, so the "drama" will be things like deadlines, recipes, etc.

MNF and lots of beer on tap are going to stop me from watching tonights episode, but it will be DVRd!

I'm not a big fan of TV overall. This show isnt much different than any other craphole production, except that it covers a topic I am interested in. It has piqued my interest and I will likely watch the entire season. There are a hundred things I could point out that are wrong with it, but it isn't going to change anything, so I am just glad to have something at all.

The Chicha... eh... It soudns kinda tasty, and I would be happy to try some. I wouldn't call it truly authentic, however. There are a lot of things that were gone over in the show that were not replicated. Other things weren't even mentioned, so who knows how truly authentic it is. Primarily, yeast. It is such a huge part of creating beer, and they don't do it any justice. It is barely even mentioned. Also, the corn wasn't germinated like in Peru.
Sure there is the 'timeline' which needs to be strictly adhered to :rolleyes:. In the end, it is another off-centered ale and an interesting idea. Great historical perspective as well.

I found last night's show to be better then last week's and I'll give tonight's episode a go but the jury's still out....

Last night did it for me. I was on the fence. Now I like it. Something about the episode that I really enjoyed. I'll be watching tonights.. Is there a reason there is an episode on tonight?

For those that felt that the show lacked geek-speak, did last night's explanation of how the amylase in saliva was equivalent to that of malted grains do it for you? Frankly, I could see that type of detail alienating the masses if it went any further than that.

I feel like some of us HBTers expected way too much from this show. If he mentioned everything about beer and why it is what it is, not everyone would watch it. I think the show is pretty good for trying to capture a big audience. the only thing I would change is to see more of the day to day stuff and not just the crazy beers/projects he does.

Overall i like the show just because it gets me stoked on brewing. No show will ever be as technical as the pros want it because it would narrow the audience. For a show on brewing i am pleased with it and will watch every episode.

I saw the *****'s brew episode. I think I need to watch one more show or two before I decide if I will continue to watch it. There are a couple reasons why I may not. One is although I did find the show enjoyable for a first watch; I don’t think long term I really want to watch him experimenting with recopies over and over again. I don’t know why, I just don’t. It was cool to see a brewery working, but I have seen that before on TV too. I am glad it is not like a reality show though, then I really would not watch it.

Ok, the guy has a great job and makes a lot of money doing it but do I need to watch that? No! Am I jealous? Yes! But really, I guess I just don’t find I am seeing something new overall. Some people might find a show about my job interesting but not to watch over an over again each week what happens there. I like cooking shows though, maybe because I am actually watching them do every step? I can’t explain that.

Then again maybe on a Sunday night right before I need to settle down and go to bed after a relaxing weekend and get ready to start another work week the last thing I want to watch is a show about a guy right by me taking his hobby and being very successful at it and creating new things using his imagination. :(

The Chicha... eh... It soudns kinda tasty, and I would be happy to try some.
I agree.. it actually looked strangely appetizing.. found myself in a very confused state after the show, intrigued but slightly queasy.

I wouldn't call it truly authentic, however. There are a lot of things that were gone over in the show that were not replicated. Other things weren't even mentioned, so who knows how truly authentic it is. Primarily, yeast. It is such a huge part of creating beer, and they don't do it any justice. It is barely even mentioned. Also, the corn wasn't germinated like in Peru.

yeah, he definitely made his own version of the chicha recipe.

I still cant figure out the yeast. Im wondering if wild yeast gets into the brew somewhere... maybe from the straw basket.

Also, in the first episode, sam said he had to put hops in everything, so im wondering what type of hop he used. Sam's chicha also seemed filtered.

also, I doubt the DFH stuff is 2 days old and still fermenting...

Curious how much of this stuff is different because of choice vs. law.

Strangely, the thick frothy, unfiltered stuff actually looked better.... maybe thats because they were in peru. :mug:

Fascinating episode for sure.

I like the show. Sure it's not tech geeky like some of us would like, but for a show about beer, you don't want to throw all that tech stuff at Joe Bud Drinker who doesn't know malted barley from unmalted barley.

The show does a good job of showing the creative process, and now, a rare beer style that goes beyond the "norm" for many North Americans.

also, I doubt the DFH stuff is 2 days old and still fermenting...

Curious how much of this stuff is different because of choice vs. law.

Fascinating episode for sure.

Yeah I don't think it is possible for a brewery to make the beer the way those villages in ancient Incan times did, where it would be still fermenting and you get krausen-head served in your glass.

I think the law is mostly strict on the creation of beer with barley. I don't think hops are necessary, but I may be wrong. In either case, you are right and the hops weren't mentioned either on the Chicha.

Strangely, the thick frothy, unfiltered stuff actually looked better.... maybe thats because they were in peru. :mug:
Yeah did you see that first house they went to? With the cobwebs and grime? Haha, they were saying that if it were a niche bar in L.A. they would say that it went over the top and too far to capture the essence.
The Chicha looks good in that enviroment because it is an ugly enviroment lol

Anyone see the CHicha episode last night? I thought it was awesome. One of my good friend's wife is from Peru and we've had many discussions about Chicha. All the stuff he's had uses the germinating technique instead of the spit. Seems like most everyone that makes it no longer uses the spit method. Kinda weird that Sam wanted to do it that way. Especially when they ended up adding some 2-row to the mash anyway.

Seems like most everyone that makes it no longer uses the spit method. Kinda weird that Sam wanted to do it that way. Especially when they ended up adding some 2-row to the mash anyway.

100% agree. Even when faced with reality, Sam clearly opted to go the gross-out way for bragging / show hype.

I generally like the show premise, just don't care for Sam.

Anyone see the CHicha episode last night? I thought it was awesome. One of my good friend's wife is from Peru and we've had many discussions about Chicha. All the stuff he's had uses the germinating technique instead of the spit. Seems like most everyone that makes it no longer uses the spit method. Kinda weird that Sam wanted to do it that way. Especially when they ended up adding some 2-row to the mash anyway.

1. He got some criticism last time he tried for lack of authenticity. Seems like a good chance to redeem himself this time with the original methods.

2. He's required by law to use barley in all his beers.

I also saw them putting flaked maize in the mash, did you see that?

TB

1. He got some criticism last time he tried for lack of authenticity. Seems like a good chance to redeem himself this time with the original methods.

2. He's required by law to use barley in all his beers.

I also saw them putting flaked maize in the mash, did you see that?

TB

Yup I saw the flaked maize as well and I realize he's required to use the barley. My point is that the barley has the enzymes needed for conversion. I really liked the episode, I just thought the whole spitting thing was totally unnecessary and agree that they did it just to add to the show. Especially knowing someone personally who travels to Peru somewhat regularly, consumes Chicha, and confirms that no one spits anymore. I can't wait for tonight's episode, the Punkin Ale is by far my favorite pumpkin ale on the market.

I like the show. Sure it's not tech geeky like some of us would like, but for a show about beer, you don't want to throw all that tech stuff at Joe Bud Drinker who doesn't know malted barley from unmalted barley.

It would appear that Sam doesn't know the difference between germinated corn and non germinated.

I like the show a lot.

But, there is one annoying part of this(and in other reality shows) is the "need" to ALWAYS have some type of deadline to meet. For example, in last nights show...he needed to get the Chicha out to his own brewpub in a short period of time(3 weeks?). Why not just plan to have it finished one week later? It is his brewpub and he makes the rules, so delay it by one week.

Especially since he could have malted the corn in that week and saved everyone the hassle of chewing rock hard corn. Furthermore he could have thrown the corn into a cerial cooker and done without the whole disgusting spit ordeal altogether.

Do other people get the impression that it is Sam's way or the highway? I can't imagine with all the talent they have at DFH that someone wouldn't have pushed back and said, "Hey lets germinate this corn and save our mouths."

It would appear that Sam doesn't know the difference between germinated corn and non germinated.

Especially since he could have malted the corn in that week and saved everyone the hassle of chewing rock hard corn. Furthermore he could have thrown the corn into a cerial cooker and done without the whole disgusting spit ordeal altogether.

Do other people get the impression that it is Sam's way or the highway? I can't imagine with all the talent they have at DFH that someone wouldn't have pushed back and said, "Hey lets germinate this corn and save our mouths."

I thought they made it pretty clear that they were trying to follow the traditional process as much as was feasible. I think the spit thing was to get people to think more about the culture and history of the drink. The 2-row was simply added to maintain legality in the US as a brewery producing a beer.

I would imagine that the workers at DFH are just on board with his vision, and willing to go the extra mile to get something that's a pretty cool concept done as a team. Sure they could have germinated the corn, but it would have been less authentic, and pretty boring. Even if there wasn't a TV show involved. I know I was more inclined to try the "crazy spit beer" over "beer made with corn", especially given the connotations with corn/rice in the craft beer community.

I thought they made it pretty clear that they were trying to follow the traditional process as much as was feasible. I think the spit thing was to get people to think more about the culture and history of the drink. The 2-row was simply added to maintain legality in the US as a brewery producing a beer.

I would imagine that the workers at DFH are just on board with his vision, and willing to go the extra mile to get something that's a pretty cool concept done as a team. Sure they could have germinated the corn, but it would have been less authentic, and pretty boring. Even if there wasn't a TV show involved. I know I was more inclined to try the "crazy spit beer" over "beer made with corn", especially given the connotations with corn/rice in the craft beer community.

Agree! doing it with the spit makes the beer way more interesting.

On a related note, I think I'll give the show a few more episodes before judging it completely. Like most shows, it's going to change a little over time as it finds its groove.
So far I like it, but some parts (like the rapping in episode 1) can get a little annoying.

No way!!! Not possible....if this were true, the show and brewery would have to be in Philly! :p

I just spit into my coworkers coffee; I am going to see what his reaction is and if it is positive I have an idea.

Sure they could have germinated the corn, but it would have been less authentic, and pretty boring.

Lots of people make Chicha in Peru similar to how people here homebrew, almost none of them use the spit method anymore. As I stated earlier, my buddy goes down there regularly, drinks Chicha, and had never even heard of the spitting method. I don't think any Peruvian would call the germinating method less authentic.

Lots of people make Chicha in Peru similar to how people here homebrew, almost none of them use the spit method anymore. As I stated earlier, my buddy goes down there regularly, drinks Chicha, and had never even heard of the spitting method. I don't think any Peruvian would call the germinating method less authentic.

I was under the impression that he was trying to recreate the Chicha they drank in the Inca civilization, not so much what they drink now in Peru.

Here's a beer guy, Sam Calagione, making every effort to make this TV show a success. Probably more pressure than making beer, ya think? And here we sit playing Monday Morning Quarterback!!

Sam is about having fun exploring the extremes of brewing, with the emphasis on FUN! I met him at AHA when it was in Oakland 2 years ago and he is the same trusting, light hearted, serious as a heart attack about beer guy that you see in the show.

I applaud him and his pioneer efforts in the brewing community!

To me, he is right there with McAuliffe, Maytag, Grossman, Cilurzo, and Koch (Jim and Greg), Papazian, and a whole host of other notables who are recreating the craft brewing industry in America. Thank God for each and every one of them!!

If I sound like an A- #1 fan boy, so be it!! I' just off centered enough to understand the quest! :D

Back