Quick Question RE: Yeast Watching/Pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NBABUCKS1

Reaction score
So I washed a week ago and my yeast has been sitting in maison jars in my fridge since.

I want to brew now and don't feel like making a starter.

I will decant the water/beer off slurry, warm to roo temp and pitch.

I know I should make a starter, but I feel with the small amount time I'll be fine.

If it doesn't take in 48 hours, I can always pitch the packet of us-05 I have. And fwiw it came from a US-05 yeast cake.

Thoughts?

With underpitching you not only risk off flavors, but a stuck fermentation. A stuck or slow fermentation risks an infection. You might be ok, but you are increasing the risk of several things you don't want to happen. That's a lot of unnecessary risk that can be avoided by taking the extra step of making a starter.

Yeast "watching?" That must be a bit like watching paint dry innit? :p

I think you'll be fine either way. I have really been paying attention to my pitch rates lately and I truly believe that the quality of my beer has improved as a result. Fwiw...

3 hours? man...wait at least 3 days and then push the panic button. You should be fine provided your santitation/washing methods were sound

If the OP pitched enough yeast a starter wouldn't really be needed. Since he didn't say how much yeast he pitched, what kind of yeast it was or the OG of the wort he pitched it into we don't really know if he under pitched or not...

ha...I know I'm over reacting. After using US-05 and pitching on yeast cakes for the past year I"m used to having yeast take off within hours...

I remember my first couple of brews where I used smack packs and those had a 24 hour lag time....

I just can't remember having lag time!

So..no activity about 38 hours later.

I'm rehydrating some us-05 right now.

Quick question: Do I Reaerate the wort with some vigerous shaking or just pitch as is?

If the OP pitched enough yeast a starter wouldn't really be needed. Since he didn't say how much yeast he pitched, what kind of yeast it was or the OG of the wort he pitched it into we don't really know if he under pitched or not...

He said it was a mason jar of washed yeast (not slurry, but washed); that's almost certainly a massive underpitch...

ha...I know I'm over reacting. After using US-05 and pitching on yeast cakes for the past year I"m used to having yeast take off within hours...

...a full yeast cake, on the other hand, is a pretty big overpitch.

I learned my lesson on having a starter on this one!

I'll wash this yeast on my next batch and do a starter.

Back