What is the cheapest way to make a lagering setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I've got a mortgage, student loan, car loan---I'd rather not drop big bucks here. All the minfridges I see are too small to fit a carboy+airlock. I found a big fridge-freezer at Sam's Club for like $325...not too shabby. Along with a temp regulator from an HBS, that would do the trick.

Does anyone know of a better way to make this happen? They also have a chest freezer for like $170 (I already have one of them, but I actually use it to store food). Could I upfit that thing with a temp regulator? Or is that no good?

Any other suggestions?

I believe that chest freezers are better than fridges for things like that. I have a chest freezer, just trying to figure out the cheapest way to do a tempature controller

Check Craigslist for free/cheap freezers and fridges

The cheap bastard method I'd recommend would be picking up a used fridge from the want ads or a friend/family member (or Craigslist as mentioned in the previous post). I got my kegerator fridge by posting an add on the bulletin board at work. Guy gave it to me for free to make room in his garage. $50 for an external temp controller and you're good to go.

Can't beat free. :ban: (although I promised him a sixer or two of the home brew)

Back