Mother's milk oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doghousechef

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on creating a recipe. I'm new to brewing, having just bottled my 3rd batch last night. My wife has put in an order for an upcoming batch. We found out a couple of weeks ago that our second child is on the way, due in early February. Our first is now about 14 months. She had a little trouble nursing at first, so she's charged me with making a nursing beer. Most of this research has come from her. Brewer's yeast and oatmeal apparently help with milk production, so she asked me to make a low-alcohol oatmeal stout. I also remember from the first child that fenugreek also helps with nursing and gives a maple flavor to things. I haven't done an all grain batch yet, but plan to with this.

Questions:
How can I achieve a full body and low alcohol without too much sweetness? (she's a dry wine lover)

When and how much fenugreek should I add? (flameout or secondary)

A maple-flavored oatmeal stout sounds like a yummy brew to me. I might have to make two batches so I don't drink hers all up.

Thanks

Sounds yummy. I have no clue at all about beer and mother's milk, sounds intriguing. Let us know how it goes. My wife would be interested.

Good luck!

I haven't heard much about oatmeal or yeast helping with breastmilk production (though yeast is full of vitamins), but there is a fair amount of documentation surrounding hops as a milk supply increaser, as well as an excellent mother's adjunct for evening/nighttime feedings since hops have a mild sedative effect (really, have you ever drank an IIPA and felt like you dropped a few unisom tablets? Well, I have.) Here's one page that says a little about hops, but if you google this, you can find more info.

EDIT: more links.

http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-health/articles/78/1/Herbs-and-Breastfeeding
http://www.crazyfortea.com/hopsherb.html
http://www.examiner.com/x-608-Early...-help-increse-milk-supply-in-nursing-moms-Yep

Congrats to you and your family on the coming addition!

Make a dry stout - use oats in place of some or all of the flaked barley. 70% Maris Otter - 10% roasted barley - 20% flaked oats and/or flaked barley. Shoot for a 1.040 gravity. Mash at 150 deg. F. for 90 minutes. A 60 minute bittering hop addition only - around 40 IBU's. Any neutral bittering hop will do - I like Nugget - but Magnum or Galena or Northern Brewer would work as well. Use a neutral yeast - US-05 works well - 1056, 001 and others will work fine as well.

Can't help you on the fenugreek - hopefully someone else will chime in with some ideas.

:mug:

I'd forgotten about hops and breastfeeding. Some good links snail.

desert-
This pretty much reinforces my instincts, I was thinking Irish Ale yeast. Thanks.

Dried fenugreek is quite bitter. You need to see what TYPE of Fenugreek helps milk production. Herbs have different properties depending on how they are processed. Fresh fenugreek will be different from dry fenugreek. Boiled fenugreek will be different from soaked in the secondary fenugreek. Or, it might be chew on the fenugreek.

I did a quick test, it is fenugreek seeds: Breastfeeding Online

It can be taken as a powder, capsules, or tea. As a tea form it is less effective. However, if you want it in the beer, I would consider putting it either in the secondary or the last 2 minutes of the boil before chilling.

As for using the fenugreek, taste it first. See how bitter it tastes. If you are curious what happens when you boil it make some tea and taste that, see if you want that flavor added to your beer, experiment. I would consider lowering the amount of hops in exchange for the bittering of the fenugreek.

Alternatively, you can add it to the secondary. You might want to look at older recipes that used herbs instead of hops for bittering and preservation. I would use up to 10oz in the secondary, but maybe less depending on how fast the flavor leaches.

Good luck, let us know what you do and how well it works out.

UPDATE:

I tried this tonight. I brewed an oatmeal stout a week ago. I siphoned off a half gallon into a growler and added a little less than 1/2 tsp. I'm going to let it sit for at least another week. The baby is due any time now. Here's the oatmeal stout recipe I used.

Bainne a Mathair

5# Marris Otter
2# Oats
1# Roasted Barley
1/2# Chocolate Malt
1/4# Black Patent

1oz Kent Golding FWH
1oz Kent Golding 60min

Mash:
110F 30 min
154F 60 min

UPDATE 2:

I'm holding my new son and typing this while I take a break from bottling. He was born on Wed. and is as healthy as can be.

I have my main bottling bucket free of the fenugreek and a pot sitting with the experiment. I expect to get about 4 bottles of the experimental stout. I tried a sample from both and do tell a difference. With the fenugreek batch, there is a very subtle maple note and a little smoother bitterness than the control batch. Granted, it all still needs to condition in the bottles. I think I could up the amount of fenugreek and still be safe. I'm definitely going to try this next time as a full batch. I may even up this to 1.5 tsp per gallon.

O.G.-1.042
F.G.-1.010

Please change the name, it makes me queasy.:)

Congrats on the tax write off!

Final Update:

I'm drinking my experiment now. There is a definite maple aroma and noticeable flavor. The regular stout is one of the best beers I've brewed so far. I'm not sure if I like this better or not. It is a little more carbonated and therefor a bit creamier mouthfeel, but I don't think that comes from the fenugreek. The maple flavor on the approach kind of dissipates into a little more bitterness than the regular version and is faintly reminiscent of celery on the finish. I have to say I like this beer both ways and will probably brew it both ways in the future. My wife has been battling thrush since the birth, so she hasn't tried any of it yet. I still don't know how it will affect her milk supply, but I've a unique and pretty tasty brew.

Do you think you can explain in detail exactly how you used the fenugreek? I was interested in doing something like this, and am curious as to exactly how much you used, how, when, etc. Thanks!

Do you think you can explain in detail exactly how you used the fenugreek? I was interested in doing something like this, and am curious as to exactly how much you used, how, when, etc. Thanks!
Since I just wanted to experiment with this batch, I pulled off a half gallon into a growler after fermentation was done(a week after brewing). I pulsed some of the fenugreek in a coffee grinder and added 1/2 teaspoon to the growler. I let it sit there for about a week and a half before bottling. When I do this as a full batch, I'm going to use about 2 tbsp and just throw it into the primary. It seemed to float, so you might put it in a bag.

Hey man, I don’t mean to resurrect a dead thread, but I find myself in the same position you did, and I am throwing around the idea of a fenugreek, low alcohol breastfeeding beer. My problem is the wife is a fan of the really hoppy pales (loves the cascades). She usually finds stouts a bit boring (her words).

I wonder what you think this brew would taste like with a more aggressive hop schedule (along the lines of a Cascadian dark)? A little bit of a west-coast momma milk. I’m not sure if the hops would work with the maple undertones of fenugreek.

I have a bit of a super dark CDA bottle conditioning right now, I may grind up some fenugreek and add it to a bottle to see the effect to see.

Can anyone tell me the difference in using flaked oats as opposed to regular oats or vice versa. What is the highest percentage of oats to use in a batch? Thanks

I like to squeeze my wife's tittie into my hot cup of coffee to get my milk in there.

-=Jason=-

Hey man, I don’t mean to resurrect a dead thread, but I find myself in the same position you did, and I am throwing around the idea of a fenugreek, low alcohol breastfeeding beer. My problem is the wife is a fan of the really hoppy pales (loves the cascades). She usually finds stouts a bit boring (her words).

I wonder what you think this brew would taste like with a more aggressive hop schedule (along the lines of a Cascadian dark)? A little bit of a west-coast momma milk. I’m not sure if the hops would work with the maple undertones of fenugreek.

I have a bit of a super dark CDA bottle conditioning right now, I may grind up some fenugreek and add it to a bottle to see the effect to see.

Hops also improve lactation, so go for it!

If you are looking for inspiration beyond fenugreek (which creates a maple syrup flavor/odor sometimes), try blessed thistle, alfalfa, goat's rue, milk thistle, papaya, fennel, motherwort, asparagus racemosus, red raspberry and leaf, chamomile, comfrey tea, sassafras tea, ginseng tea, licorice tea, brewer's yeast, anise, astralagus, flax, nettle, burdock, boza, althaea root, quinoa, oatmeal, etc..

Thing is, whatever you add, make sure your wife and child are not allergic to it and read up on the side effects, because you can really mess things up if you do it the wrong way. However, a lot of these were traditionally used in bittering brews already. Plus others just are tasty to add, or dangerous.

I have a crazy homebrew friend who is looking to make a milk stout with "mother's milk". I think he's single at the moment so he may need a surrogate.

Back