Bacon Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaghettiMonster

Reaction score
Anybody ever tried a Bacon Beer before?? Is this something that could be done in a homebrew?

Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer from Bamberg - The smoked beer specialty in Franconia (Bavaria, Germany)
Bacon Beer! Yes! | Royal Bacon Society - The Ultimate Bacon Resource
Bacon Unwrapped: Oktoberfest Bacon Bier

smoke-beer.jpg

There's nothing in this world that brings me more joy than a good rauchbier. Learn to mash (even partial mashes), then study up on using rauchmalt. There's nothing in this world that's better. Rauchbiers, smoked porters, smoked stouts, smoked bocks, smoked hefeweizens....

There's nothing in this world that brings me more joy than a good rauchbier. Learn to mash (even partial mashes), then study up on using rauchmalt. There's nothing in this world that's better. Rauchbiers, smoked porters, smoked stouts, smoked bocks, smoked hefeweizens....

+1 to this...Even a tiny amount, like a single pound (or even two) in a grainbill for a basic brown ale, stout or porter can add another layer of complexity to the beer....the smoke will not dominate at that level, but but it will be somewhat noticeable....the drinker may not be able to point their finger at what it is, but will notice something distinctive from other beers.

So do you smoke the malt yourselves or can you order it? Does it really have bacon tastes?

You can get Rauchmalt or Peated malt anywhere you can get most grains..but be aware you use a lot less peated malt than you use Rauch....it is very intense stuff mostly used in the whiskey industry...where you can use POUNDS of Rauchmalt, you only use OUNCES of prated..and the less the better...DO a search for discussion on peated and you will see horror stories of people who thought it was interchangable...

also you CAN smoke your own malt...look for a thread by "donkey sniffer" about smoking your own..or any of the other threads onthe topic...

Yeas people do equae smoked malts with bacon flavors.....

Have fun.

I made it through about half of that beer. Then I decided it was weird to drink meat. One of the few beers I didn't like. Luckily a friend liked it, so it didn't get wasted.

I've got 5 smoked beers on tap: Smoked wheat (light and somewhat sharp), Smoked Porter, Kaiser Dom (smoked black lager), Rauch Spezial (pure liquid smoke), and a peat smoked ale (finishes like a good Isle of Islay single malt scotch). And it's true...it is a love/hate thing. People either can't stand the smoke or can't get enough. I am of course one of the latter.

Oh man, I wish I knew, made a real good one last Summer.
Won Silver in the Smoked/Wood aged at the NEHBC, sent it to the Nationals

I only have one bottle left though, a swingtop at that.
I gots to make more, the stuff was great with BBQ
Should have brought that to Kaisers

I still have a LITTLE bit of my American Smoked Stout left that I could/should have brought over, too. I'd like to re-brew that once I get myself set up for home-smoking. I think I've got enough rauchmalt left over to make a nice little smoked hefe, a style that's woefully underdone.

My ultimate goal, though... once I get a few other things sorted out, I'd LOVE to try a big smoked bock/dopplebock. It's barely 8:00AM, and I'm drooling just thinking about that...

b767fo, I take it you've been reading Daniels/Larson's book?

Bird, I have the book; it's where I got the recipes for the Kaiser Dom and the Smoked Wheat. The others are recipes I cooked up (sorry) on my own. The peat ale was an experiment that came out especially good...basically a red ale with about 5% peat smoked...named it Ardbeg Ale after my favorite scotch.

I recognized the Kaiser Dom from the book, and I've seen so few references to smoked wheat beers outside of that book that I figured that's where you got it. I was introduced to smoked hefe from the Albany Pump Station - that's still one of the best beers I've ever had.

Only smoked beer I've had was the exact one you have pictured there and when I'm back in the area where I got it I'll be picking up another variety of the Rauchbier. The one in the pic was excellent I just want to try another one too.

I brewed a big scotch ale utilizing peated malt once... 4 pounds of peated malt was a bit much, I'd recommend 2 pounds max.

Every time I drink one I taste smoke for a few days :)

Latest posts

Back