Asia and the search for good beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Bond

Reaction score
Hi -
If you're here you have some interest in what has interested --nay possessed -- my life for the last three years. That is the lack of good quality beer throughout India and SE Asia.
Least favourite Asian beers -
Kingfisher (India)
Fosters (India brewed)
San Miguel (Philippines)

wots yours??

OB - Korea

But I drank one helluva lot of it so that I could bring back 400+ 20 oz bottles for homebrew back here in the USA!

Focus

You don't like Sam Maggo? I was in my mixed drinks period when overseas, so I didn't do much beer sampling.

The bulk of the beers I had there in SE Asia were variations on the pilsner theme. Tiger, Angkor, Blue Girl, as well as your faves, all generally the same.

If, however, you find yourself in Singapore, there is a high-grade brew-pub on the river called Brewerkz that seems keen on the English styles.

In Hong Kong, there are a few English/Irish pubs that are capable of pouring a decent Guiness or Boddingtons. Or, there was a place in Lan Kwai Fong that had an extensive beer list, including some US micros like Mendocino.

Happy Hunting

I drank a lot of Singha Beer (ordered as "beeya Sing") when I lived in Thailand, and it's still a "comfort beer" for me when I find it in the US.

Was not a big fan of the Tiger that was prevalent in Malaysia and Singapore.

I visited Beijing this summer and had some yanjing, the canned, bottled and tap variety. Its pretty much the only beer they have there. It was watery and not unlike Old Milwaukee.

IMG_3410.jpg

Back