Equipment to start kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taa800

Reaction score
I just bought a refrigerator to store kegs so I can start kegging my beer. I wanted to have 2 kegs on tap at one time. I'm wondering what equipment I need to do this. I realize I need 2 kegs, a co2 tank and regulator. What else do I need? What's the best way to set this up? Are there kits to buy all of this at a good price? I've reviewed the stickies, but couldn't find specifics on what I wanted to do.

Thanks

If you want to keep two kegs on tap, I'd suggest owning three or four kegs but you can start with two.

You'll need a co2 tank (can be kept in the fridge if it's a 5# or 10#), a regulator, and some lines. You can use "picnic" taps, or you can buy some faucets and shanks and go through the door eventually. You'll need some lines, too.

To keep it simple at first (you can always add more stuff later- it's easy!), I'd suggest:

a co2 tank (5# is ok, but a 10# will last longer between fills, unless you have a leak!)
A regulator. A single gauge is fine, but some people like to have different pressures for different kegs. I'd go with the single for now.
A T fitting (or a WYE) for the kegs. I like the ones with valves so you can turn off the gas to one keg.
Make sure you have check valves installed, so you don't inadvertently ruin your regulator.

Then, to dispense, you need one black quick disconnect for each keg/line. You'll need one cobra tap (picnic tap) and 8-10' of beer line for each.

For the gas, you'll need one gray quick disconnect for each line/keg and the line from the "T" or "WYE" at the regulator. The gas line just has to be long enough to reach the kegs, but I like mine a little longer so I can pull the kegs out still connected to the gas. I think they are about 5'.

I think that's about it!

If you want to keep two kegs on tap, I'd suggest owning three or four kegs but you can start with two.

You'll need a co2 tank (can be kept in the fridge if it's a 5# or 10#), a regulator, and some lines. You can use "picnic" taps, or you can buy some faucets and shanks and go through the door eventually. You'll need some lines, too.

To keep it simple at first (you can always add more stuff later- it's easy!), I'd suggest:

a co2 tank (5# is ok, but a 10# will last longer between fills, unless you have a leak!)
A regulator. A single gauge is fine, but some people like to have different pressures for different kegs. I'd go with the single for now.
A T fitting (or a WYE) for the kegs. I like the ones with valves so you can turn off the gas to one keg.
Make sure you have check valves installed, so you don't inadvertently ruin your regulator.

Then, to dispense, you need one black quick disconnect for each keg/line. You'll need one cobra tap (picnic tap) and 8-10' of beer line for each.

For the gas, you'll need one gray quick disconnect for each line/keg and the line from the "T" or "WYE" at the regulator. The gas line just has to be long enough to reach the kegs, but I like mine a little longer so I can pull the kegs out still connected to the gas. I think they are about 5'.

I think that's about it!

Thanks Yooper. Where is the best place to get all of this? Are there any kits out there that would have all of this?

I got my stuff from beveragefactory.com. You can get a kit or buy the stuff all la carte. They were great and fast shipping.

I got my stuff from beveragefactory.com. You can get a kit or buy the stuff all la carte. They were great and fast shipping.

Is there any place that has a good picture or diagram of all of this?

Keg connection was very helpful and set me up great. Even spent some time on the phone with me to trouble shoot an issue

That first link from Birdman looks good. I'd want longer serving lines than it comes with, but it's a great start. You definitely want the check valves and the WYE for two kegs.

Back