ARGGH. Picnic Taps???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petho

Reaction score
So, I put 5 gallons of stout into the corney keg and let it sit a few weeks. I checked today and all 5 gallons had emptied into the bottom of the chest freezer. I have been kegging for almost a year with no problems unitl now.
I am not sure why this happened. I had a picnic tap on the keg and I am wondering if it let loose. Has anyone else had a problem with picnic taps?

OH NO! That sucks, man.

Something a lot of people don't know about those things is that the top of the faucet screws down on the body of it. I recommend checking that it is snug periodically through the life of a single keg fill, and also pulling it apart with each breakdown or leak to make sure nothing has gotten in the faucet head that could be obstructing it's function.

I almost cried. She barely had a chance at life, cut down way too young.

Someone else today on the board had the same problem. Just make sure you screw the tap piece down well

same thing happened to me..i put it back in fridge witha really slow drip.. came home from work the next day to find beer all over my floor,under the fridge,ect... had a couple beer left in it tho, so at least i could RDWHAHB while i cleaned the floors
ordered a perlick tap the next day!!!

I guess that 3 dollar faucet isnt the greatest thing. I guess I will just keep the tap unplugged from the keg until I am ready to imbibe.

same thing happened to me..i put it back in fridge witha really slow drip.. came home from work the next day to find beer all over my floor,under the fridge,ect... had a couple beer left in it tho, so at least i could RDWHAHB while i cleaned the floors
ordered a perlick tap the next day!!!

yea for Perlick!!!!!!

as the name suggests, picnic taps are meant to dispense beverages for short periods of time, like when you are at an afternoon picnic. they were never meant to be hooked up and left unattended for days or weeks.

Latest posts

Back