I don't want to rack to secondary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
I have a porter in primary right now, been 3 weeks already and normally I'd rack to secondary and add some whiskey barrel oak chips. But I don't want to do that.

So I was wondering would it be a bad idea to just add the oak chips to primary and let it age sit like that for the 2 weeks and then keg?

THat's what a lot of us who no secondary/month long primary do all the time...

i know i'm one of those you speak of. i keep all my brews in the primary for an extra week or two after the initial fermention instead of racking to a secondary. :mug:

So it's ok to oak in primary? When do people usually add oak in primary? Right away or after things have settled down?

Got some oak chips soaking in Coal Ila now that I want to do a RIS with at some point (after they've soaked for a while anyway). And I don't think I really wan to use a secondary, would rather primary it for like 4 weeks or so and then bottle it and forget about it for half a year.

In my experience oak chips contribute a strong flavor fairly quickly. I had 3oz oak chips in a primary (added when the airlock settled down) for 1 week. It took 2 months in the secondary and 6 weeks in a bottle for the flavor to mellow to where it was balanced.

So yeah I think 1-2 weeks with chips is fine. Just let that keg sit around for 3 months.

I do not use a secondary. I have dry hopped in the primary before and it came out fine.

Latest posts

Back