Washed yeast....1st time....bubble jones....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
I just wanted to pass on that I am not a real DIY'r, but I had some mason jars and well.......both yeast strains I washed are at work this morning after brewing all day yesterday. It's easy, takes little time and saved me $13. That money is going to...guess what? Beer! Happy Superbowl!

~Diz

Yesterday was also my first time reusing/washing my yeast. Haven't seen any activity yet but hope I see it soon!

Both are going crazy. Hmmmm.....$14 cheaper at least for a few gens. I was worried about one. Love it! Easy and then there is beer!

~Diz

That is what I am doing now. Living in Canada, liquid yeast is a premium.

WLP001 - $10.49
Shipping - $12.62 ( only an hour away )

Over $23.00 for yeast. I have to wash it, I am not rich. A few more batches will reduce this down to free yeast, but the shipping is starting to bug me.

How are the gas prices up there? It might be cheaper to drive the hour there instead of paying the shipping costs. Just a thought...but I'm sure that has already crossed your mind.

$4.28 a gallon. It is in Toronto. Too big of a city for me. No, driving would cost me way over that. If I am successful on washing this yeast and re-using it a few times, then it's basically free. I bought Jamil's yeast book and it really helps. In fact, his book made my decision to stop using dry yeast and go with liquid.

Conehead said:
$4.28 a gallon. It is in Toronto. Too big of a city for me. No, driving would cost me way over that. If I am successful on washing this yeast and re-using it a few times, then it's basically free. I bought Jamil's yeast book and it really helps. In fact, his book made my decision to stop using dry yeast and go with liquid.

Well good to hear. My local shop is too far away but it's only logical if homebrewers have the knowledge and resources to harvest and re-use yeast for a few generations. I would trust these yeast over a vial of "new" yeast any day.

Well good to hear. My local shop is too far away but it's only logical if homebrewers have the knowledge and resources to harvest and re-use yeast for a few generations. I would trust these yeast over a vial of "new" yeast any day.

I'm confused. Do you mean your LHBS isn't too far away? There is one in Urbandale which isn't too far from you. I'm also confused why you would trust washed yeast over a fresh vial. Not that you can't trust washed yeast but there is always a chance that someone might have contaminated theirs.

rjwhite41 said:
I'm confused. Do you mean your LHBS isn't too far away? There is one in Urbandale which isn't too far from you. I'm also confused why you would trust washed yeast over a fresh vial. Not that you can't trust washed yeast but there is always a chance that someone might have contaminated theirs.

Yes sorry that was a typo on my part. Are you from the area? What I meant by trusting harvested yeast is that as long as your sanitation practices are good and you got good results (I.e short lag time, proper attenuation etc) than you know you have a great strain of healthy yeast. I'm not saying you can't trust a new vial I'm just always a hesitant of how the yeast was handled in transit to the brew shop and also how they handle it. Yes I know you can do a starter to check the viability but I don't like doin a starter....aka I'm lazyyyy. Hopefully that long winded answer helps clarify my previous statement. Again it's all preference to the brewer....I would rather take the time at the end and harvest/wash my yeast as opposed to buying new each time and making a starter.

+1 on yeast reusing. Good sanitation practices have made reusing a successful practice for me many times over.

Back