Is a 7gal carboy to big for a 5 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreveli

Reaction score
I found someone looking to unload a bunch of 7 gal carboys fo $25 each. So if they will work I may jump on it.

TIA Ray

they will work for primaries. Probably less chance of needing a blowoff with that much space. Not so good for secondary (if you secondary) as you don't want that much head space (at least I don't).

I just paid $45 +tx for a 6.5gal carboy.
What kind of gas mileage do you get ?

They don't make 7 gallon carboys. You had better make sure you know what you are buying.

Forrest

I have four 7.5 gal carboys.. they work great. I have done 5 gallon batches in them.. but why stop there? Make 7 gallons of beer instead.

Are they really carboys (ie: large bottle) or are they buckets? I've never seen a carboy > 6.5G.

I have four 7.5 gal carboys.. they work great. I have done 5 gallon batches in them.. but why stop there? Make 7 gallons of beer instead.

For the last 20 years I have never seen or had the ability to order a 7.5 gallon carboy. They are probably 6.5 gallon or they are older than me.

Forrest

I just stumbled across this thread because I found someone selling 7.5 gallon carboys for $15.

Just to confirm, these would be good primary fermenters, correct?

I picked up a few of these carboys from the same seller a few months ago. They are the 6.5 gal Acid carboys. Good price for them, and I have put a few batches through them without a problem. Good thing about them is they come with the Styrofoam cases, which are great for shipping/moving.

I just stumbled across this thread because I found someone selling 7.5 gallon carboys for $15.

Just to confirm, these would be good primary fermenters, correct?

They are fine for primaries because the CO2 produced blankets your beer and protects it from oxygenation. Once moved to secondary little fermentation occurs allowing oxygenation to occur if too much headspace is present.

They are fine for primaries because the CO2 produced blankets your beer and protects it from oxygenation. Once moved to secondary little fermentation occurs allowing oxygenation to occur if too much headspace is present.

I appreciate the reply.

I've yet to brew, but I'm slowly collecting everything I need. I already have a plastic bucket and three 5-gallon carboys, but I cannot pass these up for $15 a piece.

For the last 20 years I have never seen or had the ability to order a 7.5 gallon carboy. They are probably 6.5 gallon or they are older than me.

Forrest

I've seen 7, 7.5, and there's someone selling a 10 gallon carboy on San Diego craigslist right now. They're probably older than you, and I wouldn't doubt it. Carboys last forever if they're taken care of.

I've seen 7, 7.5, and there's someone selling a 10 gallon carboy on San Diego craigslist right now. They're probably older than you, and I wouldn't doubt it. Carboys last forever if they're taken care of.

I remember seeing a 9.5 gallon one on Craigslist not long ago, but that might be better classified as a demijohn. I imagine they're more useful for winemaking (but I guess they'd work well for meadmaking as well?).

I've seen some 7 and 7.5 gallon carboys, they were in labs at work and quite old. I almost snagged one a few weeks ago.

yeah, i just saw them on craigslist and came to the forum to see what the deal was.
so they are 6.5 gallon? what is an acid carboy?

I spotted those on Craigslist, too! :rockin:

yeah, i just saw them on craigslist and came to the forum to see what the deal was.
so they are 6.5 gallon? what is an acid carboy?

Those are the ones. I picked up two tonight. They look to be every bit of 7.5 gallons.

They look clean and have a slightly dirty, earthy smell. I asked the guy what was stored in them, but he said they were cleaned before he got them. Should I be concerned about this, or am I good to go as long as I clean and sterilize them?

lknbigfish: what do you mean acid carboy? Edit: I see you were referring to Chad C, who I believe was referring to the OP. The ones I got, in the Charlotte area, are 7.5 gallons.

Oh, he said he has almost 50 of these if anyone in the Charlotte area is interested.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/1538713716.html

I met him just past Weddington at I-485 and Providence Rd.

He actually drove about half an hour to meet me, so he may be willing to meet you halfway. Seems like a good guy.

I'm thinking these will also be great for Apfelwein or Mead -- recipes that a newb like myself can adjust for larger batches.

I have yet to brew anything, but I've amassed two 7.5 gallon carboys and three 5 gallon carboys. I think it's time I actually put all of this stuff to use.

One more question regarding Mountainbeers' statement:

Given the headspace, would it be acceptable to leave a beer in the primary for a longer time without racking to secondary at all, or would the CO2 exit the carboy after a week or so, thus allowing oxygen in?

I have no problem moving the beer to a 5 gallon carboy, but I've been reading recently about the success people have by leaving their beers in the primary for a longer time and skipping the secondary altogether.

Yep, regular old glass 7.5 gallon carboys.

My only concern, really, is what was stored in them previously. But I'm looking forward to using them soon.

Could anyone answer the question below? I see that I could indeed primary in the 7.5 gallon carboy, but essentially I want to know if I'm okay to leave the beer in the primary for a month or so, as many are now doing. Sorry for the noob question.

Given the headspace, would it be acceptable to leave a beer in the primary for a longer time without racking to secondary at all, or would the CO2 exit the carboy after a week or so, thus allowing oxygen in?

I have no problem moving the beer to a 5 gallon carboy, but I've been reading recently about the success people have by leaving their beers in the primary for a longer time and skipping the secondary altogether.

Could anyone answer the question below? I see that I could indeed primary in the 7.5 gallon carboy, but essentially I want to know if I'm okay to leave the beer in the primary for a month or so, as many are now doing. Sorry for the noob question.

Yes, you can primary in it, and you can leave it in for aging. Since its already filled with CO2, and air can't get in, the headspace issue isnt an issue. If you were transferring into it as a secondary vessel, it would be an issue since CO2 production would be minimal.

As Aubrey said, it's fine. CO2 is heavier than oxygen; it won't "float" out and allow oxygen in. Also, you can read a ton about autolysis if you want, but it doesn't seem to be an issue (this, from someone who secondaries!). Just leave it in the primary for a month and the CO2 blanket will protect the beer while the particulate matter falls out of suspension.

Yes, you can primary in it, and you can leave it in for aging. Since its already filled with CO2, and air can't get in, the headspace issue isnt an issue. If you were transferring into it as a secondary vessel, it would be an issue since CO2 production would be minimal.

As Aubrey said, it's fine. CO2 is heavier than oxygen; it won't "float" out and allow oxygen in. Also, you can read a ton about autolysis if you want, but it doesn't seem to be an issue (this, from someone who secondaries!). Just leave it in the primary for a month and the CO2 blanket will protect the beer while the particulate matter falls out of suspension.

Thanks for the answers guys! Can't wait to use these as my primaries.

Forrest

Laboratory equipment catalogs often list something called a carboy that looks kinda like what homebrewers think of, but is made of translucent PPE. I work in a scientific facility, and there's an old apparently cast-off one that someone left in the shower I use every morning. I don't know what its capacity is, but it appears to be closer to 10 gallons than five, and I've seen catalogs that listed much larger ones.

Latest posts

Back