Who Likes Bananas and Cloves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
Aside from the Pol, I mean who really likes it in their beers? I ask because I want to make a Belgian beer, but I don't like these flavors. So I am trying to hunt down some delicious yeast that will not produce these flavors. I have a couple in sight, but just want to know who really thinks that bananas and cloves in beer taste good. What have you made with this profile that you said, "Oh yeah! That banana flavor in my beer tastes really good. I love how the beer is accentuated by the hops and how the yeast gives me banana and clove."

I don't like it, at all. Let me know though.

I don't consider it a true heffe-style unless it has some banana/clove flavors. If those flavors are lacking it's just an American wheat to me.

That said, I love banana/clove in german heffe styles.

When you guys say clove flavors, is that a clove-like flavor created by the yeast? Or are you actually talking about adding cloves to a recipe. I recently made a Winter Spiced Ale, and used 1/8 tsp of freshly ground cloves right before flameout of the boil. I didn't think 1/8 tsp would do much, but the flavor is DEFINITELY there, if not a little overpowering.

Do you guys think this will mellow out a bit with time? Everything about the beer so far tastes good (I've been sneaking sips from my hydrometer tube) except for a little more clove-like taste than I would expect (it's the aftertaste, if anything, that is not desireable). The beer definitely has a spicy, biscuity, gingerbread like quality to it, which is exactly what I was going for. I'm just hoping the cloves calm down a bit.

I really like the banana and clove flavors in wheat beers. A hefe is not a hefe unless is has it, another great example is Sweaty Betty from Boulder Beer that is delicious. I also fermented a stout warm last year with a hefe yeast and got some really good banana flavor and aroma out of it. Very good

A German style Hefeweizen typically has those flavors. A Belgian style beer (Wit, Dubbel, or Tripel may,) but it's usually way more subtle. If you are looking for something that is less fruity, pick a strain like Wyeast 3068 or 3944. Or use a Kolsch yeast or American Wheat yeast.

Additionally, ferment at the cool end of the temperature range for the yeast to keep these flavors at bay.

I reread your post.

Sorry for the advice that you didn't ask for.

I like Banana and Clove.

Aside from the Pol, I mean who really likes it in their beers? I ask because I want to make a Belgian beer, but I don't like these flavors. So I am trying to hunt down some delicious yeast that will not produce these flavors. I have a couple in sight, but just want to know who really thinks that bananas and cloves in beer taste good. What have you made with this profile that you said, "Oh yeah! That banana flavor in my beer tastes really good. I love how the beer is accentuated by the hops and how the yeast gives me banana and clove."

I don't like it, at all. Let me know though.

It's essential in a German style hefe and very nice on a warm summers day.
We used to add a shot of banana pulp to Hefe's in Germany sometimes too, making a "banana-hefe", we were up North which is more pils country so maybe down South they'd have frowned upon it. It was something the Germans showed us too, not some mad Irish idea.

Fermentation temp is a big determinant in how much banana(cooler) vs. clove(warmer) expresses itself in the final beer.

Belgian yeast strains are well known for spicy phenolics through big fruit, depending on both fermentation conditions and the strain.

I enjoy WLP570 a lot!

I abhor bananas. It is the only food that I will not eat.

That said, I brew 50% belgians and never notice banana flavors. I primarily use WY3787 but I have also used WLP500. Bubblegum that subsides over time from the latter. I do the standard pitch cold (62-65 or so) and allow the fermenter to warm up over time to mid 70s.

Well, with summer here, maybe I can attempt to rectify my dislike of these flavors in beer. I mean, I love them outside of my beer, just can't really stand sipping liquid banana. A friend made a rogenbier and I popped the top and just couldn't do it. Had three or four sips from the glass, gave some to SWMBO and then tried one more time. I made this face:

beerface.gif

I like a little bannana and I like clove in my belgians.
Since you dont like them, I suggest you stay away from wyeast 1214.

I just tapped my first german hefe. I must say I am not all that into the flavor. I've been told it is a great likeness to a german hefe, but man I can't get around the clove.

I don't find myself wanting to go to the kegerator like I do with my other beers... I guess this style is not for me.

I love a big clove and banana german hefe, but it shouldn't be as pronounced in a belgian. if you don't like this character stay away from belgian wits, go with a belgian golden ale, more malty than wheaty . or try a dobbel or tripel, they usually have a raisin flavor on finish.
yeasts:
Wyeast 3787. (really like this one)
White labs trappist yeast WLP500.

don't for get to add Special B malt and some Belgian candy sugar

I think it depends on the yeast. I have had a few wits that don't have any of that esther quality and are just really unique smelling. The banana wasn't there. Spicy, sure. Zero banana though

Back