22 miles of painful bliss....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This last Saturday I completed my last 20+ mile run. I wont have to go that far again until the 24th on race day. What an exhilarating and humbling experience these last 4 month of training have been. I was injured twice, I had two bad colds and a week of the flu. I had runs where I felt I could not go even a mile and runs where I felt I could go all day.

The alarm goes off and I'm out of bed at 5:00 am, eat some raisins for breakfast. Sit and surf the net for an hour to give myself time to make sure all bathroom issues are taken care of. Get dressed and head out the door. On the way to the gym I drop water bottles at a few points along the route that I will be covering that day.

When the run starts the first 3 miles are always rough. The body is tight and sometimes still a little sore from a past run. The first mile is always way to fast and it takes me the next few miles to settle down and find a pace that I can hold for the next 3+ hours... Yeah, 3+ hours, it's almost mind boggling when you think about it. Two years ago I was stressed over a 30 minute run and now I have run for 3 hours and 40 minutes straight without stopping. Kind of makes me feel like a super hero.. :)
After the 16 mile mark the feet start to hurt and the legs are getting weaker. (mental note: pack some Advil and take it at mile 14) There is just a lot less spring to my step. But there is no way I am going to stop moving. This is why on a run like this I run away from the starting point until I get half the miles down then turn around and go back. You have to get back so you may as well run back. lol

I feel I'm ready for this race. I know I wont be able to hit my over enthusiastic goal of under 4 hours but I will do my best to be under 4 and a half.

Wish me luck...

Great job. All the hard work is done. I'm guessing you're doing the Bayshore Marathon. Best of luck!

Phew, way to go! I used to love running, before my knees crapped out. My longest was a half marathon. I can't imagine doubling that distance...it was rugged.

Good work man! I ran a marathon last September, I feel your pain. I was aiming to break 4 hours, and ended up at 3:39, so don't underestimate yourself, with all the people running near you and people cheering along the route, you would be surprised how much adrenaline can play a factor. Stay hydrated during the race, I thought I was doing a good job (at least a cup of gatorade or water at EVERY station) and several gel packs, but I still started cramping at mile 22 or so.

BTW, I am willing to get that you will not do a single run for at least a month or two after the race... :) Don't ask how I know.

But that first beer after the race (Provided by Avery brewing at my race) was like manna from the heavens, but I was completely wasted after it...

Great job. All the hard work is done. I'm guessing you're doing the Bayshore Marathon. Best of luck!

Yup, will be doing the Riverbank 25K this weekend and the Bayshore on the 24th.

I'm tellin ya...running will kill you.... :D

Congrats on a great accomplishment.

The running is the only way I can drink as much HB as I do without being 300+ pounds.

BTW, I am willing to get that you will not do a single run for at least a month or two after the race... :) Don't ask how I know.

I start training for a Triathlon on the 19th of May so the I will be running again only a few days after. I wont be running fast but I will be running.

Man I wish I could do the finish time you did. That's freaking great. :rockin:

Good job man, once you get past that last long run, the hay is in the barn. Just remember that once you start tapering, you'll probably feel like crap, but that's normal. Good luck in the marathon, there's nothing quite like finishing one.

Congrats! I speak for alot of runners when I say that I wish I was in your shoes right now. I love the last big run and the feeling of looking forward to the event.

Back