priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagovenor

Reaction score
hi guys need some advice. im a first time home brewer and just done my first batch yesterday. iv noticed today that reading my detailed instructions which were not so easy to follow i had added 100g of priming sugar to the first fermenting process, will this cause me a problem? and if ok should i add priming sugar again to secondry fermentation? the same amount?:drunk:

Priming sugar is added to the bottling bucket before you transfer the beer for bottling. How big is your batch?

23 litres, just read that it will be fine but need to add same amount again to secondry fermenting, will this increase abv?

Yes. It will increase your ABV, as well as "dry" out your beer a bit. You will also need 140 grams of corn sugar to prime your beer when it comes time for bottling. Do you have that on hand?

Why are they telling you to add so much sugar. Is this an extract kit? If possible, could you post your recipe.

its a festival premium ale kit, it was my mistake adding it to the first process!
what i should of done is add the 100g portion when i barrel it later. is corn sugar priming sugar then?

my process was to stand sachets in warm water for 15 mins then add to fermenting bucket along with 3 litres of boiling water. then it told me to add dextrose which i was mistaken for priming sugar! tool! then stir it thoroughly and add cold water up to 23 litres, took temp was at 25 degrees and stirred again then added yeast gently stirring and took hydrometer reading which read 1040. then sealed tub added air lock and here i am

the dextrose was to be added to certain kits they produce not the one i was brewing

What style of beer is it? Unless you're adding fruit, there shouldn't be a need for a secondary, especially if this is your first batch you've brewed; even dry hopping shouldn't necessitate a secondary if this is the first beer you're crafting.

Virtually any kind of sugar can be used for priming: sucrose, dextrose, glucose, even honey. I'd suggest this tool for figuring out exactly how much sugar you need for creating the right level of carbonation in your beer: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?13524782#tag

What style of beer is it? Unless you're adding fruit, there shouldn't be a need for a secondary, especially if this is your first batch you've brewed; even dry hopping shouldn't necessitate a secondary if this is the first beer you're crafting.

Virtually any kind of sugar can be used for priming: sucrose, dextrose, glucose, even honey. I'd suggest this tool for figuring out exactly how much sugar you need for creating the right level of carbonation in your beer: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?13524782#tag

its a bitter and i do add dry hops after 5 days of first fermenting, the beer is a festival premium rel ale, landlords finest bitter. your see it if you google it mate

Back