Blonde Ale Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice recipe. I had altered it a bit by going 5 pds 2-row, 2 pds of corn, 1/2oz. cascade at 60min., 1/2 cascade at flame out, and i think mashed at 145. Hit an OG of 1.032 and finished at .998 with the help of beano because the LHBS didn't carry amylase. I stuck the secondary in the fridge for a day to cold crash it and warmed it back up for a day before bottling. Bottles will hit the 2 week mark tomorrow...and i'm already half way through them lol. Good beer. The hops are there,(which im surprised about at only 1 oz. of cascade) but its not overly hoppy. This brew only costs about $10.00/5gallon batch considering im buying 2-row in bulk and saving/washing the yeast. I will be brewing this every other brew session from now on. Thanks for the recipe!

Brewed this twice yesterday. The beer budget was raided due to the holidays so I used what I had on hand. Should be close I hope.
Both batches were all 2-row (5lb 4oz) with 4oz of Victory.

Batch one is using 3 gen S-33 and Fuggles for bittering(18 IBU) and dry hop.
Batch two is using 2nd gen W-34/70 and cascade for bittering(18 IBU) and dry hop.

Since batch #2 is using a lager yeast will the enzyme addition be done in the same way? I have not seen that anyone has tried this with a lager yeast.
I am thinking 2 weeks in primary, or when the gravity gets around 1.005, then rack onto the enzyme.

Note: I normally do not reuse dry yeast, but I have plenty of grain/hops, the ability to drink, and not any funds for a few weeks to buy more supplies.

Hi,

Just made this recipe today -
play by play here -
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/1st-beer-attempt-ever-lots-pics-biab-291598/

I used .5 oz of hallertau and .5 oz of cascade for 60 minutes.
Hope this will not over power my first brew.

thoughts of my hop selection?

thanks Kevin

If your bitterness is on target you are good to go.

Brewed this twice yesterday. The beer budget was raided due to the holidays so I used what I had on hand. Should be close I hope.

Batch two is using 2nd gen W-34/70 and cascade for bittering(18 IBU) and dry hop.

Since batch #2 is using a lager yeast will the enzyme addition be done in the same way? I have not seen that anyone has tried this with a lager yeast.
I am thinking 2 weeks in primary, or when the gravity gets around 1.005, then rack onto the enzyme.

Note: I normally do not reuse dry yeast, but I have plenty of gr
ain/hops, the ability to drink, and not any funds for a few weeks to buy more supplies.

I think you are ok too. The enzyme allows it to hit 1.0000.

According to Charlie Papazian, this is what miller does. Not sure if it's really a lager or an ale. My guess it once was a cool fermenting lager. Who knows now.

I think it let's the yeast scrub the beer of remnant complex sugars thus eliminating the need for a dyasital rest.

I'm going to brew this extract version for my 2nd or 3rd brew with a full boil. I have 3# extra light DME, 2# of rice solids, saf-05, 2 oz of Crystal hop pellets @ 4.3 %AAU on hand, and the amylase on the way. Any tips to get the right Ibu's here? Also, I will be bottling so is this the standard carbing and conditioning?

I'm going to brew this extract version for my 2nd or 3rd brew with a full boil. I have 3# extra light DME, 2# of rice solids, saf-05, 2 oz of Crystal hop pellets @ 4.3 %AAU on hand, and the amylase on the way. Any tips to get the right Ibu's here? Also, I will be bottling so is this the standard carbing and conditioning?

Definitely use an IBU calculator to 16-18 IBU mark. That's if you want a light balanced beer. Otherwise with such a small quantity of fermentables it could be easy to under/over shoot your target. It would drastically change utilization. Then couple it with the variable of different alpha acids of the hops.... Calculate the ounces of 60 minute hop addition in order to hit the IBU target.

Try this if you don't have software; The Beer Recipator - Home

Matasata said:

Update:

Batch #1 I took a hydro sample today and WOW! From 1.031(shooting for 1.030) to 1.006 from saturday afternoon till today. I think I seriously over pitched my slurry. The sample tastes really mild with a faint hint of the fuggles and no off flavors. The stick on therm is shot so I believe it was fermented at 70-75ish. Think I should leave it a week in primary still or go to secondary with the enzyme?

Batch #2 It is still churning away in the fridge. It is at 47F so I know it is not done yet. Still getting the normal sulphur smell of lager fermentation.

Question: Is the corn in the original just to save on cost per batch? Since I've read where some disliked the "corn" taste pre enzyme and it doesn't seem to matter post enzyme.

Really glad you put this info out there.

Update:

Batch #1 I took a hydro sample today and WOW! From 1.031(shooting for 1.030) to 1.006 from saturday afternoon till today. I think I seriously over pitched my slurry. The sample tastes really mild with a faint hint of the fuggles and no off flavors. The stick on therm is shot so I believe it was fermented at 70-75ish. Think I should leave it a week in primary still or go to secondary with the enzyme?

Batch #2 It is still churning away in the fridge. It is at 47F so I know it is not done yet. Still getting the normal sulphur smell of lager fermentation.

Question: Is the corn in the original just to save on cost per batch? Since I've read where some disliked the "corn" taste pre enzyme and it doesn't seem to matter post enzyme.

Really glad you put this info out there.

Right, after a week rack to the secondary on top of the enzyme. The beer will be close to 1.005 nearly every time with a slight corn taste. The last several points get consumed by the yeast as the enzyme breaks it down. When it is at 1.0000 the corn taste will be gone. Yes the corn is a an adjunct to lighten the beer and it's consequently very cheap. This is historical for old American Breweries.

I'm definitely going to brew this beer. I think it would be a great low alcohol drink for beer pong in my garage for the summer!

So at this point, without reading 28 pages to find out what your mix was, can you share which German hops you blended?

Has anyone tried this recipe with anything other than Cascade or German Noble hops?? I am curious if anyone thinks it would be tasty with Citra, Simcoe, or Amarillo. I have some new hops and I am starting to feel like *everything* uses Cascade. :) Not sure if it has the body to support a citrus taste though. Thanks!

I have a batch with Fuggles. It will hit two weeks on the dry hop this Saturday.

While I'm at it. Once it's kegged is it carb and serve or lager a while?

Has anyone tried this recipe with anything other than Cascade or German Noble hops?? I am curious if anyone thinks it would be tasty with Citra, Simcoe, or Amarillo. I have some new hops and I am starting to feel like *everything* uses Cascade. :) Not sure if it has the body to support a citrus taste though. Thanks!

I made this with sorachi ace several times. Sorachi Ace tastes like lemon. This was a good summer beer. Not over doing the hops either bittering or late additions is important. Hitting the 16-18 IBU target, modest dry hopping is best.

I have a batch with Fuggles. It will hit two weeks on the dry hop this Saturday. While I'm at it. Once it's kegged is it carb and serve or lager a while?

Yes, the AE does make it have a parched dry taste when young. Give it a week or two after you have your first snort. Taste it now and then wait a week taste and then try it at week two. The parched taste dissipates quickly.

I like to dry hop for 5-7 days, then keg and carb, then let it sit for about two weeks. I have brewed this five times now! Thanks again.

I just racked this recipe to secondary. It stopped at 1.07 in the primary. Within 2 minutes of racking on top of the amalese enzyme it was bubbling pretty good. And thats thru my blow off tube and about 1.5 gallons of head space in the better bottle. I got about 4.5 gallons into the secondary. It had a fruity smell though and is the color of lemonade. We will see how it turns out.

edit: the hydrometer sample tasted pretty good I thought. i didnt detect a corn twang or anything. Then again a noob. I cant wait to have it dry hopped and carbed up.

I just racked this recipe to secondary. It stopped at 1.07 in the primary. Within 2 minutes of racking on top of the amalese enzyme it was bubbling pretty good. And thats thru my blow off tube and about 1.5 gallons of head space in the better bottle. I got about 4.5 gallons into the secondary. It had a fruity smell though and is the color of lemonade. We will see how it turns out.

edit: the hydrometer sample tasted pretty good I thought. i didnt detect a corn twang or anything. Then again a noob. I cant wait to have it dry hopped and carbed up.

What yeast did you use?
What temp was the primary fermentation done at?
What temp is the secondary now?

thanks Kevin

What yeast did you use?
What temp was the primary fermentation done at?
What temp is the secondary now?

thanks Kevin

I used Safale 05. I just cut the package and dumped it in. It sat in the primary at 66-68 degrees for 7 days and the secondary will do the same thing! My OG was 1.030 btw.

Well.... I'll never dry hop with fuggles again. The beer tastes ok, but the fuggles flavor and aroma is killing it for me. Also, the yeast got it to 1.006 and the enzyme got it to 1.000. Think it would be possible to redry hop with cascade in the keg or a noble hop? The bitterness is on target but it has a slightly spicy quality much like grains of paradise if you've ever had the Sam Adams beer with that in it. Maybe that's what fuggles if for I dunno, but I am not a fan.

The twin batch with lager yeast and cascade already tastes great and smells incredible. The lager yeast got it to 1.002 without the enzyme. It is currently 1 week on the enzyme and another oz of cascade. I'm giving it two weeks till a take another sample. I had enough extra to put together a 6'er without dry hop or enzyme. Can't wait to do a side by side.

Well.... I'll never dry hop with fuggles again. The beer tastes ok, but the fuggles flavor and aroma is killing it for me. Also, the yeast got it to 1.006 and the enzyme got it to 1.000. Think it would be possible to redry hop with cascade in the keg or a noble hop? The bitterness is on target but it has a slightly spicy quality much like grains of paradise if you've ever had the Sam Adams beer with that in it. Maybe that's what fuggles if for I dunno, but I am not a fan.

The twin batch with lager yeast and cascade already tastes great and smells incredible. The lager yeast got it to 1.002 without the enzyme. It is currently 1 week on the enzyme and another oz of cascade. I'm giving it two weeks till a take another sample. I had enough extra to put together a 6'er without dry hop or enzyme. Can't wait to do a side by side.

FWIW- I don't like fuggles either. I don't see them as an aroma hop. Just bittering if you ask me.

Seriously, anything dry hopped will not be like miller light. They advertise triple hopping. Anybody, who has tasted miller light knows its not triple hopped.

The key here is to use a hop that you like and know it tastes good, and not over do the dry hopping.

The good thing is that with age fuggles will taste less fuggle-like with time.

Schlenkerla,,,,,sorry to ask something that probably already asked...bu when are the hop additions made...just started brewing ....1st batch just bottled and just orded kegging equip...but want to make the best beer i can...Thank you for your time.

ac1971 said:
Schlenkerla,,,,,sorry to ask something that probably already asked...bu when are the hop additions made...just started brewing ....1st batch just bottled and just orded kegging equip...but want to make the best beer i can...Thank you for your time.

Schlenkerla said:
0.60 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 17.0 60 min.

1.00 oz. Cascade - Iowa Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min.

1.00 oz. Cascade - Iowa Whole 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop
Boil .6 oz for 60 min.
Add 1 oz at flameout
Dryhop 1 oz

Boil .6 oz for 60 min.
Add 1 oz at flameout
Dryhop 1 oz

You boil for 90 minutes total
- when you have 60 minutes left to boil do the first addition
- when the time is up add the 1oz
- When you transfer the beer from the primary fermentor you siphon onto the last set up hops in the 2nd fermentor.

Anybody who has tasted miller light knows its not triple hopped.

Sure it is - they use three pellets in every 55-gallon batch!! On a serious note, I'm wondering how this would be with some lime. Call me a pansy but I like the Miller Chill after golfing or mowing. I may do something with this soon...

Sure it is - they use three pellets in every 55-gallon batch!! On a serious note, I'm wondering how this would be with some lime. Call me a pansy but I like the Miller Chill after golfing or mowing. I may do something with this soon...

Probably good with some lime....

I used sorachi ace and got it with lemon taste. There's a lime flavored hop out there. Not sure what it is though.

Zest a lime and add it to the 2ndary or prime with boiled zest and sugar. Or do a late addition at 5 to 0 minutes in the boil.

Try zesting a lime.

220px-Juliennejern.JPG

Amarillo is described as "citrus" and it does smell lime-y to me. Citra is described as tangerine. Simcoe is described as piney and grapefruity. Ahntanum is also described as citrus and floral.

We tasted the final grav sample and it tastes like FLAT miller lite... So BRAVO... cant wait to bottle and keg. I was thinking ot bottling in Miller Lite bottles to see if my friends could tell... lol

YUM! Bottled this one a week ago. Already in the fridge as the carb level was right where I wanted it. Hopped exclusively with Cascade including dry hop. The only difference from the recipe was the exclusion of the amylase. I wasn't able to get my hands on it in time for secondary. SO got it down to around 1.005 on its own. IMO it still works. Its not as dry as it could have been but it still works. This is my fourth AG brew and I have to say, I think it turned out the best out of all of them. Which makes me happy as it is my understanding that the light brews are the toughest to nail. WOOT. Thanks OP for the fantastic recipe. Will brew again!

I plan on trying this recipe as my first recipe in my new BIAB keggle setup. Can you think of any modifications I would need to make to the recipe or can I give it a go as you have it described?

This was my 4th brew and it was easy. Went to the secondary this weekend. Amazing light gold color, compared to my dark brown and red that I just did. Light fruity smell, I hope will subside soon, but the taste was good. Bottled a liter just to try it early ;)

This was my 4th brew and it was easy. Went to the secondary this weekend. Amazing light gold color, compared to my dark brown and red that I just did. Light fruity smell, I hope will subside soon, but the taste was good. Bottled a liter just to try it early ;)

Its should if you used AE.

I plan on trying this recipe as my first recipe in my new BIAB keggle setup. Can you think of any modifications I would need to make to the recipe or can I give it a go as you have it described?

Never did BIAB before, so I cant comment on it, but recipe is great if you can get a decent extraction. Hit 1.030OG then hop to 16-18 IBUs

well... after a couple of days on the gas, I tried it and man... a weird aftertaste... someone told me it was wet cardboard... but I cant really tell... I can definitely taste what the AE did... I get a little bit of cottonmouth... BUT.. about two weeks later on the gas, it is really good... still kinda of a aftertaste I am not happy with, but may just use half the AE next time...

Back