Questions for a Newb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evolute99

Reaction score
1. Do I add my grains before or after the water?

I have been ending up with 140 degrees, I tried to heat it up to 170 degrees but I'm losing so much, I also try to preheat my mash tun but still ending up with 140.

Add your grains after the water is what Ive read or you will get lumpy grains. Try keeping your grains in a warm spot for an hour or 2 before adding them to the water.

You need to provide more information on your equipment. What cooler are you using for a mash-tun?

Most people add grains to the water, but keep in mind that you need to ensure your grain is at room temperature, if it has been stored in a cool place (garage/refrigerator), it will affect the mash temp significantly.

thanks, will do for my next batch. My dad has always added the water later and he does ten gallon batches.

how much temp do you guys usally lose when adding your grains?

I use a cooler system and I lose about 18 degrees... definately water first, then grain... good luck.

If you use Beersmith you can get the strike temp needed. I add water first to prevent dough balls and hit my strike temperature dead on. I put the water in a few degrees higher and put on the lid. 5 minutes later I stir and check the temperature and it is usually just above or at the strike temp. After it has stabilized at the strike temp (stirred) I put in all the grains and stir well and put on the lid. After 5 more minutes I remove the lid and stir and take the temperature again to see if it is stabilized at the desired mash temperature and it usually is. Close for 1 hour and you are ready to sparge.

I've always followed John J. Palmer's advice on "How to Brew." I've never had dough balls or a stuck sparge... Add your strike water to your grains... keep your grains warm in your mashtun until your ready to add the water... Currently I'm getting a 73% brew house efficiency... good luck!

Kegged: Olga's British Pale Ale
Brewed 4/27/08: Olga's Pale Ale

I mix it up:

Water...
Grains...
Stir...

Water...
Grains...
Stir...

Water...
Grains...
Stir...

Until it's full. I usually calculate 1 degree of heat loss per pound and then add 5 more degrees to that.

Back