S.A./R.H. Scottish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxlinsky

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 70 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
18 days @ 70 degrees
Additional Fermentation
No
Tasting Notes
Extremely complex - malty with caramel and smoky notes. Heavy.
Just now getting around to posting a recipe after lurking on this forum for years and being a member for over a year now.

To date, this recipe has been my most surprising batch. It came out nothing like what I was expecting, in a good way. This beer was a huge hit with everyone I shared it with. With Fall and Winter approaching, I thought now would be a perfect time to post this one.

Grains:
12 lb. Maris Otter
1 lb. 10 oz. Munich
1 lb. 4 oz. Crystal 60
8 oz. Special Roast
4 oz. Peat Smoked
4 oz. Roasted Barley

Hops:
1.5 oz. Fuggles - 4.5% @ 60 min.
1 oz. Kent Goldings - 5% @ 20 min.

Yeast:
2.5 pkg. Nottingham Dry Ale

Prime with 5 oz. corn sugar

Mashed for 75 minutes @ ~149º, fly sparge. I used a 10-gallon mash tun. you'll want something around this size because of the amount of grains.

Notes:
This was one of my first all-grain batches so I was pretty paranoid about the mash process. I noticed about 15 minutes into the mash that my temperature was lower than what Beersmith told me it should be, so I added 1 gallon at 180º to hopefully raise the temperature. My thermometer told me this brought the temperature up to 155º but I'm not sure how much of an effect it really had. Pre-boil gravity was 1.060.

Original mash schedule was to be 20 qt. @ 170º for 75 minutes, fly sparge with 4 gallons at 168º.

Upon bottling, this beer had a strong cidery taste and smell and I was worried I had spoiled it somewhere along the way. However, the longer it was left in bottles, the more complex it became. I just finished the last bottle 9 months later and it was still developing new flavors.

The flavors of the peat smoked malt start to come through after a month or so in bottles and really start to take off from there. Some may find the amount of peat smoked used in this batch overpowering, and I'm considering scaling that back to 2-2.5 oz. in my next batch.

This is certainly a heavy beer and not at all sessionable (for my own tastes anyway). The next time I brew this batch, I will more than likely scale it back to a 2.5 gallon batch or smaller. That said, it is one of my favorite batches I've done so far due to its complexity.

I would classify the flavors as malty, roasty, and complex, with peat smoked notes coming through in the finish. The high gravity gives it a somewhat alcoholic/boozey taste that diminishes as bottles mature. The hops give it a good balance, but are not assertive or lingering.

I may have overcarbed. The head can get out of control as it's poured, and bottles have a tendency to foam up on their own.

I'd be thrilled if others are inspired enough to try brewing this, and I'd also love to hear feedback from the experts on what I could have done differently.

Cheers!

IMG_0379.jpg

That looks wonderful. Good call on putting the recipe up now with the fall and winter upcoming. This will assuredly be my next brew. Just a quick question because I'm fairly new to brewing (only 10 or so all-grain batches in):

With an original gravity that high, why did you recommend not using a starter? Is it because you used dry yeast? Did you rehydrate the yeast before pitching? Thanks in advance, and thanks again for posting your recipe.

-jortmann

Honestly, I didn't use a starter because I don't have a ton of experience with them and I've always gotten good results without them (maybe I just don't know what I'm missing).

I didn't want the yeast to be prominent in this one and I've always had good results with Nottingham when that's my aim. I'm sure there are some interesting liquid strains out there that would work here.

Let me know how it comes out with a starter if you go with one. Definitely consider a blowoff tube if you do. I'm excited you like the sound of this and I'd love to hear your results!

I'll be sure to let you know, it'll be awhile yet because I currently have a couple of batches going, but this will definitely be my fall brew.

Back