What stock pot size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 gallons to do 5gal batches. Real question is do you plan on moving to 10gal batches in the future? I've had so many customers come back and say they made a mistake by not purchasing the larger kettle to begin with.

I have not thought about doing 10 gal batches. But yeah I think I would want to. So for 10 gal batches use a 15 or 20 gal?

I just did a 5 gallon batch in a 7.5 gallon pot the other day. I think the boil started just over 6 gallons. I had a couple close calls with boilovers acquainting myself with the burner but it worked

Basically 5 gallons bigger than your target size. But I will be one of the ones to tell you - if you have even the inking of a thought of going to bigger batches later, get a bigger pot now. I've made that mistake multiple times now. But one beware: if you go too big then smaller batches can become problematic because of fitting placement and usually diameter increases the bigger you go.

25gal pot isn't enough for 20 gal batch - made that mistake once! Have to think that 20 pot might not be right for 15 batch. 15.5 pot is certainly fine for 10 batch. 8 works for 5.

I agree… 7 gal pot for 5 gal batch; 15 gal pot for 10 gal (what I use). I’d go up to a 15 gal pot and expect to be doing 10 gal batches (doesn’t take much more time in your brew day and only uses about 1/3 more propane); but, if you might move into all grain you could use your 5 gal for sparge water… not a complete waste but you’ll need to refill it half way for a 10gal batch.

I've made 15.5ish plato beers with a 17 gallon yield in a 20 gallon pot comfortably. There are so many variables and it just depends on your setup.

I do 5 gallon biab batches in a 10 gallon pot. Sometimes the yield is closer to 6-6.5 gallons and that's ok, but at the very threshold of my bucket fermentors. That's a pretty full pot with grain included. If I'm careful at the start of the boil I could probably get 9 gallons of wort rolling for a final batch of 7-8 gallons.

Anything smaller and I just use a 4 gallon, beat-up aluminum pot we've had for 20 years. I heat it on the electric stove, mash in directly and then strain into a bottling bucket using one of my biab bags. I recycle the wort till it's clear, add hot tap water to rinse the grains a bit and to up my volume if needed, then back into the same pot. I usually boil outside on my propane burner.

I have a 9 g pot for my 5-6 gallon biad batches. havent had any worries yet. having the extra space takes the worry out of boil overs.

I also have a beat up 3 g pot for 1.5g test batches.

I have an 8 gallon alum pot for my 5 gallon batches. No problems with boil overs

Back