First AG yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blefferd

Reaction score
well im about 99% sure im going to end up with an infection because i didnt sanitize the jar i started my yeast starter in. anyways the brewing went pretty good. there are some things i will defently do diffrent next time like account for more on the evap rate, account for more water on my strike (i used about 2 1/4 gallons and ended up with around one when i drained it.) and sanitize my yeast starter jar. lol

is it possible to over hop a beer? my hope rate was 2oz of Chezc Saaz for 60mins 1 oz of CS for 15 mins and 1oz of CS for 5 mins at end of boil, when i went to rack it into the fermenter i got a mouth full of what seemed to be straight HOPS (i was using pellets) i had to spit it out lol and my beer had a greenish tint to it as it was racking into the fermenter. Im assuming they will all fall out over time in the fermenter but im wonder about the taste.

Congrats!

Well Saaz is really low in AAU anyways so I wouldn't worry about it and as far as the infection goes....ride it out man. You already did the work, just wait in see for both the infection and flavor.

yeah thats what im going to do, i remeber cleaning it out but just not sanitizing it so who knows maybe ill luck out and nothing will happen to it.

Can you? Sure. Did you? As zoebisch said, Saaz is a relatively low AA hop, so probably not.

Are you using any kind of brewing software? IMHO, using one is a real asset when you go AG! It'll easily tell you if you have a nice 70 IBU IPA or a whopping 250 IBU hop monster that'll double as paint stripper!;)

right now im using brewsmith,(im still learning how to use it though) im attempting to make a Pilsner Urquell thats why i was wondering if i over hopped it.

My PU clone has a little over 11 HBU's of bittering hops with an estimated IBU for the 5 gallon brew of 49 IBU'S. I'm kegging it Sunday.
I don't think you'll be over the top on that amount.

well after i finished racking it there was about 1" of bright green turb on the bottom of the boil kettle, and i think i got a mouth full of the spent hops:cross:

If ive read correctly you made a gallon batch with like a pound of hops. You wont have to worry about a infection because of all the acid. However you wont be able to drink it i can almost promise you.

Back