Extract kits question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfire

Reaction score
Most extract kits say do a 2.5 gallon boil then add to 3 gallons cold water in primary.

I have a 30qt turkey fryer and wanted to do a full 5.5 gallon "Caribou Slobber" boil. Will I screw anything up? I know to watch for boil over.

Thanks again!

jfire

Your hop utilization will be different, increase I believe. You will not screw anything up, just make a better beer. Well done!

Hop isomerization will go up. In effect more IBU's. The sugar content will remain the same.

Yep, you'll just need to back off on the hops. Find some recipe software (there's free stuff out there) and plug in your recipe but change the boil and batch sizes. (I usually assume I will boil off a gallon in an hour.) Then adjust your hop schedule (try to keep same ratios) to hit your target IBUs. IMO, Beerens is right-- you'll make better beer.:mug:

I did a full boil and used the hops and hop schedule as NB instructions and mine came out fantastic.... Great kit and beer! Either way a full boil will be the way to go...

Good luck

Also consider how you are going to cool your wort. You will not have the 3 gallons of water to add if you do a full boil. Have fun.

One more question... When steeping my grains do I steep it in 5.5 gallons of water or 2.5 gallons and then add the other 3? Should I just start out with 5.5 gallons? acuenca, what did you do?

Thanks,

jfire

One more question... When steeping my grains do I steep it in 5.5 gallons of water or 2.5 gallons and then add the other 3? Should I just start out with 5.5 gallons? acuenca, what did you do?

Thanks,

jfire

I used a 1 gallon per pound rule of thumb.

steeping is not mashing -no pH to worry about. Steep in the full pot. 5.5-6 gal,
I start cold, drop in my grains, heat to about 155 and hold it about 20 min, then pull them out and proceed.

my boil-off/evaporation is a bit higher - I start with 6.5 gal.

if/when you go all-grain, you just mix the flavor/color additions in with the base malt and mash it all together.

steeping is not mashing -no pH to worry about. Steep in the full pot. 5.5-6 gal,
I start cold, drop in my grains, heat to about 155 and hold it about 20 min, then pull them out and proceed.

my boil-off/evaporation is a bit higher - I start with 6.5 gal.

if/when you go all-grain, you just mix the flavor/color additions in with the base malt and mash it all together.

"Steep small, boil big." Here's one reference:

http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/30-extract-brewing/964-kick-up-your-kit

There are others.

respectfully disagree - tannins are not a result of bulk, but of temperature.
BYO's "170F" is too hot for steeping!

this article concerns tannins as a desirable ingredient, but is quite detailed...

Effects of extraction temperature on the phenolic and parthenolide contents, and colour of aqueous feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) extracts.

Marete, Eunice N.1
Jacquier, Jean Christophe1
O’Riordan, Dolores [email protected]

Source:
Food Chemistry; Nov2009, Vol. 117 Issue 2, p226-231, 6p

The compromise temperature of 80°C was found to provide extracts rich in parthenolide content, phenolic content and with a desirable colour, suitable for incorporation into a functional beverage. [Copyright &y& Elsevier]

ISSN: 03088146
DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.03.103
Accession Number: 41244003

I did a full 10g boil of this as my first brew. Turned out great! I followed the kit instructions from NB. steep in your 5.5g of water. Good luck to you!

What I normally do is steep on the stove in my smaller pot then add the tea to my 10 gallon pot for my full boils that are done outside on my Bilchman burner. I also go with one gallon of water per pound of grain and steep about 30 to 35 minutes with temps no more than 160-165. (this is when I stop the steeping)This process has worked pretty good so far.

respectfully disagree - tannins are not a result of bulk, but of temperature.

I thought tannin extraction was a function of both temp and pH. The higher the pH, the lower the temp at which tannins are extracted. Vice versa, the lower the pH the higher the temp before tannins are extracted.

Diluting the mash/steep mixture raises the mash/steep pH (assuming the water's pH is higher). So diluting the mash/steep lowers the temp at which tannins are extracted. Wouldn't 170 be fine if the mash/steep was not too thin?

Thanks for the article-- looks really interesting.

Latest posts

Back