Citra Hops - Do you use them? My DFH60 is WOW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I just tapped a DFH60 Clone that was dry hopped using Citra Hop Pellets (1oz) and it is very good........ Very Good indeed! My LHBS had them in stock so I picked up an ounce of them to use in my brew. I had never used them before, but will use them a lot in future IPA recipes. I love the citrus aroma and flavor they have added to my beer. I will do a straight Citra Hop Ale just to see how the overall hop characteristics play out.

My original recipe for the DFH 60 Clone is modified from a recipe here at HBT.

Anyone else out there tried just the Citra in a recipe?

Salute! :mug:

I'm making an IPA today that will be dry hopped with Citra, but it will have other hops in the boil. Got it from Northern Brewer (the hops, not the recipe). This will be my first time using Citra as well. I've tasted it in Sierra Nevada Torpedo

My SN Torpedo clone came with 2 ounces I think. I'll have to look at my hops schedule again but I think it was almost all used during dry hoping. It's only been a week in the bottle, but of course I had to sample :D It was excellent!

I made a pale ale with all Citra hops, while I like it fine to me it seems one dimensional. It has a nice citrus/Lemon like aroma but I think it would be better with a mix of the other hops.

I made an all-citra beer a few months ago, like a Sierra Nevada APA but with citra instead of cascades.

Bob liked it, but I did not. It screamed MANGO and tropical fruit to me, like Juicy Fruit gum in a way. I dryhopped it with amarillo in the keg to give it some depth and it turned out ok. But I will never use all-citra again!

I think it's good as an ounce or so added in late additions in APAs and IPAs and I will still use it for that purpose.

I love amarillo- it's more citrusy. Citra is more tropical fruit-like.

I made an all-Citra APA and it was great. It has a strong mango aroma and a mild bitterness. Don't have the recipe on hand, but it was about 1.056 OG and 41IBU. I'm going to make it again soon.

Citra is also really good in an American wheat beer.

I made an all-citra beer a few months ago, like a Sierra Nevada APA but with citra instead of cascades.

Bob liked it, but I did not. It screamed MANGO and tropical fruit to me, like Juicy Fruit gum in a way. I dryhopped it with amarillo in the keg to give it some depth and it turned out ok. But I will never use all-citra again!

I think it's good as an ounce or so added in late additions in APAs and IPAs and I will still use it for that purpose.

I love amarillo- it's more citrusy. Citra is more tropical fruit-like.

Yooper - The recipe I used was your DFH 60 Clone which I have made several times and modified a tad each time. I think it is a great start for better IPA's. Thanks.

Amarillo was used in the boil, but I am at work, so I can not relate the exact recipe followed.

Salute! :mug:

I like Citra but only when used in combination with other hops. I've made a Citra/Amarillo wheat beer that came out great and an over the top IPA with Citra, Columbus, Amarillo and Centennial.

I had an all citra cask beer at Deschutes brewpub in Portland once called 'Fresh Squeezed' IIRC. It was very reminiscent of fresh squeezed OJ.... almost eerily so.

I made a pale ale with all Citra hops, while I like it fine to me it seems one dimensional. It has a nice citrus/Lemon like aroma but I think it would be better with a mix of the other hops.

I agree, I made a SMASH with it and Vienna, it was a good beer but saying it is one dimensional is a good descriptor. I still have a lot of it left and I like it, so it will go in an IPA for flavor additions, and maybe aroma. I am not sure what the AA is on them but I think its like 11%

I have a keg of citra blonde ale going right now, and I'm really digging it. It's BM's centennial blonde, but w/ all citra hops (though I screwed with the hops schedule a bit). Nice, light, and fruity.

I also did an almost all-citra IPA this summer (I used centennial for bittering, and I think I had another oz of cent. later in the boil). Dry hopped w/citra. I liked it a lot, but def. agree w/ the one-dimensional comments. Definately would work great w/ amarillo, simcoe, centennial, etc.

My first AG brew was a MO/Citra SMaSH. 1.050/30IBU. It was fairly one dimensional in that beer, but I also use it extensively as a 15 minute addition because I happen to adore the tropical flavor it imparts.
My Genesis IPA is Warrior @60, Citra @15, Willamette @FO, Cascade Dry Hop. It is super tasty.

I just cracked open the first bottle of a citra/cascade/summit pale ale yesterday. I'm addicted to that fruit aroma that citra gives off..

I just want to toss in that the continuous hopping method seems to add something to beers, I've always done Yooper's recipie for DFH60 min and its awesome!! I'll try citra next time I get around to it.

I just tapped a DFH60 Clone that was dry hopped using Citra Hop Pellets (1oz) and it is very good........ Very Good indeed!

Yooper - The recipe I used was your DFH 60 Clone which I have made several times and modified a tad each time. I think it is a great start for better IPA's. Thanks.

Amarillo was used in the boil, but I am at work, so I can not relate the exact recipe followed.

When I saw the title I was like "a DFH60 with Citra...WTF." It makes a bit more sense now but I still wouldn't call it a 60 clone anymore. IMHO

Latest posts

Back