Boy I could use some help trying to clone this one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouT

Can't wait to go AG...
Reaction score
Long Trail beer, just had some and it's great and SWMBO likes it, too -- it's called "Double Bag" I'd describe it as a semi-sweet beer, with appropriate bitterness but actually a bit on the light side hop-wise, kind of malty, and the ABV is 7.2% but it's hard to notice the high ABV, it's smooth.
Color is close to a red-ale type, maybe a tad darker.

Side note -- anyone here ever try Casco Bay Brewing's "Riptide Red" ale -- I had it last time I travelled to Maine and it's AWESOME -- would love to make a homebrew similar to that beer!

I am not to the AG level yet, so help with extract + specialty grain recipes would be great -- theres a dearth of them in the recipe database...

There both good beers. I have never bothered to try and replicate either one. I have seen some other threads here in regards to the Double bagger by LT.

BTW the Mendocino Red Tail ale is nothing like the Double bag or the Riptide red. The hop profile on the Mendocino Red tail is much different. IMHO there is a huge difference between the east coast version and west coast versions of all the Mendicino products as well. Just my 2 cents.

I have never tried an exact clone of Double Bag but I made a double alt this past fall that was certainly inspired by my love of Double Bag, I just tried to do a more traditional German version. I will try and put the recipe in the new recipe database this weekend (if you search double alt it will probably come up as well).

Jeff G -- sounds good, I'll take a peak in the recipe database later. If I can't find it I'll probably PM you.
Mendocino - I don't think I've seen it around here...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15433

Here is the recipe I made last fall. It was very good and the color was close, but the hops were definitely wrong (a bad experiment on my part as I was really digging Spalt at the time). I contacted the Long Trail brewers and they were very, very tightlipped about the recipe but did divulge that they used Northern Brewer and Mt. Hood hops. I'll probably give this a go again next fall and may reassess the recipe then but hopefully this will get you on the right path. I might work a little munich into the equation or maybe mash a little higher next time--Double Bag is pretty chewy.

Cheers.

Any chance you would be kind enough to convert into an extract w/grains recipe closer to the way you would brew it now (assuming you were going to make a batch this week instead of this fall)?
Sounds like you had a nice beer last time.
Jeez, I hope to brew my next batch of beer this Friday night, gotta make some decisions and get some recipes and ingredients by then...

Back