I think I'm turning into a hophead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyP

Reaction score
I'm sitting here an drinking a Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA and loving every minute of it (pun intended).

It's funny, but I never like heavily hopped beers before I started homebrewing.... probably because I started out on the almost hop-less American lite beers and could never get past the bitterness that hops add. I guess you could say I treated bitterness as a defect; I never noticed all the wonderful hop aromas and flavors behind it.

But since I started brewing, I crave hops. I love it when I throw hops into the boiling wort and breathe in that first whiff of hoppy goodness.

I decided to try the 90-minute IPA before taking the plunge and brewing up 5 gallons of a Pliny the Elder clone (I couldn't find Pliny anywhere locally so I figured Dogfish Head would be a good substitute). Needless to say, a Pliny clone is next in queue. :rockin:

Hops rock!

I'm a split brain, though... I'm a hophead and a malt maniac.

I basically just love beer. DFH 60 is my current favorite hoppy beer. Hop whiffing is an addiction-- get used to it!

- Steve

i've been doing the same. I never liked much above 35 IBUs, since homebrewing i have been enjoying 60 minute a lot more. Still not loving the 90though...maybe in a year:cross:

You just posted my story. I Never much cared for heavy hop/ bitter beer until i started brewing. Smelling and brewing with fresh hops was the catalyst more than anything. Here in CT (and Mass. for that matter) i have not been able to find Pliny either. I can however recommend Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. For the price it fills my need for hops better than most iv found. Funny enough I have a AHS Pliny clone going into a keg tomorrow. I tasted a sample couple nights ago, could be the best beer iv made to date.

Welcome to the club! Hopheads unite!

For the record, Dogfish Head 90 min IPA is one of my favorite beers of all time.

I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a hophead, but I definitely like hops a lot more than I used to. When I first started drinking craft brew, a Sam Adams or a SNPA were way too hoppy for me. How times, and tastes change.

Hops rock!

I'm a split brain, though... I'm a hophead and a malt maniac.

I basically just love beer. DFH 60 is my current favorite hoppy beer. Hop whiffing is an addiction-- get used to it!

- Steve

Same here... I don't see why you can't be both. :mug:

However, it definitely seems like heavily hopped beers get the most attention. Is there an equivalent to Pliny the Elder that is the go-to malt bomb?

Back