LOVE controllers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Is there a love controller that will do both a cooling and heating application at the same time? I'm designing a new fermentation chamber in my garage. In the summer it gets too hot, in the winter it gets too cold... I want to be able to control a heater pad and a cooling system with the same device. Any suggestions? Thanks ya'll

Program it to cool in the summer, and then reprogram it for heating when winter rolls around.

The TSS2 Love controller is the one you want, if you don't want to reprogram. Or if your outside temp swings wildly during the fall and spring seasons.

Check out Mashmasters out of Australia. I got mine in Canada so I'm sure there must be an American distributor that has some available. Works prefectly...
http://http://mashmaster.com.au/p/365439/fridgemate-mkii-digital-temperature-controller-kit.html

Do they make one for a 110vac power supply? The specs for the one linked says it runs on 220VAC. That could be a problem for state side users. Looks like it would work OK for fermentation temp control, but for something like mash temp control on a RIMS or HERMS I would want better precision thant +/- 1 C.
The shipping from Australia would probably make it a push on cost with the Love controllers.

The one I picked was made for the North American market so made for our 110v circuits. Can't comment on RIMS or HERMS though. But it does work quite well to control ferm temps in my carboy. Either plugged to a portable heater or a fridge.

With the understanding that using a love controller at all is a bit overkill (I have one), using the Series 16A is way overkill as it is designed for process control. While the TSS2 should give you all the control you need you may want to look at some of the home thermostats. I dont know if you are going for looks or function but I'm guessing that the .01 of a degree control isn't going to make the beer taste any better than the 2 degree swing you are going to get with a simple home thermostat from Homedepot or Lowes.

Any more information on what one you might be getting? there are a number of 16A versions and from the looks of things the 16A2133 is going to get you the closest to what you will need as it will be able to drive 2 relays to turn off and on both a heating a cooling device.

Back