Is drying neccesary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foonder

Reaction score
Do I need to dry my hops if I can just chuck them into my brew kettle? Like literally, pick them into a bowl and pour the bowl into the boiling goodness? I'm planning on using all of my (first year) yield for a pale ale, it shouldn't be too crazy.

Any problems with this plan?

This came up in a thread recently. If I remember correctly, you will need a LOT more hops to get the same AA from a dried equivalent.

This came up in a thread recently. If I remember correctly, you will need a LOT more hops to get the same AA from a dried equivalent.

Thanks. I suck at looking for stuff that's right in front of my face. :drunk:

Actually you need alot more weight of fresh hops as the hops contain a significant percentage of water. You should us the same amount of fresh hops as you would dry hops its just that the fresh hops weigh 4-6 times what dry hops weigh.
:)

I have plans for a fresh hop IPA or IIPA using my hops harvest. I am thinking IIPA that way I can just over hop the beer. If the hops end up low in AA then I'm right on target. If the hops end up high in AA then I just saturate the wort/taste threshold. :D

Craig

Back