Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blacklab said:
Here's this brew after 10 days in primary and 2 weeks in the keg:
BMs_blonde.JPG

The glass is a little scratched because it's kinda old-I stole it from Rennie's in Eugene on my 21er in 1991. But the beer cleared very nicely after a week or so in the keg.
That looks familiar.

You're making me thirsty.

I kegged it a week ago and it sat a little undercarbonated for a week. Now I'm zeroing in on the correct carb level, but it tastes almost skunky. Any thoughts?

I wonder if using Cream Ale Yeast is driving this taste...

Here is mine after 2 days in the keg... this is a tasty beer... thanks for the recipe!

BlondeAleLace.jpg

I was going to try this but AHS is out of Centennial and Cascade, the yeast is out of stock due on May 1
I have 1 - 1.5 oz of Willimette - will that be the same?

FEARDIZ said:
I was going to try this but AHS is out of Centennial and Cascade, the yeast is out of stock due on May 1
I have 1 - 1.5 oz of Willimette - will that be the same?
Funny you say that. I just tapped a Willamette Blonde two weeks ago.

It's a good blonde. Not quite as "zippy" as the Centennial, but the neighbors enjoyed it when I bottled up a 12-pack for a BBQ the other night.

It would be just fine with Willamette subbed in for Centennial.

BierMuncher said:
Funny you say that. I just tapped a Willamette Blonde two weeks ago.

It's a good blonde. Not quite as "zippy" as the Centennial, but the neighbors enjoyed it when I bottled up a 12-pack for a BBQ the other night.

It would be just fine with Willamette subbed in for Centennial.

what about the Cascade ? I'm contacting the LHBS

can you describe 'zippy'

I'm mashing this brew right now, should be ready for first running in about 15 min. My inventory was wrong, I did not have any Vienna on hand, so I substituted Victory. I don't think it should affect the final product too much. Perhaps a bit nuttier in it's backbone? Wedding's coming up in 3 weeks, so I'm looking forward to having this available for the friends!

jacksonbrown said:
I'm mashing this brew right now, should be ready for first running in about 15 min. My inventory was wrong, I did not have any Vienna on hand, so I substituted Victory. I don't think it should affect the final product too much. Perhaps a bit nuttier in it's backbone? Wedding's coming up in 3 weeks, so I'm looking forward to having this available for the friends!
Nice choice. I'd say 10 days in the primary and 20 days of crash cooling in the keg and you should have some pretty clear beer.

All in all that was my smoothest AG brew day to date. 70% efficiency, a new high! One other small change, I went with Wyeast 1056, American Ale. Mostly for variety's sake, but also my last two brews I used Nottingham, and I'm just not too into it.

BierMuncher, I would like to use this recipe, but I'm not a big fan of dry yeast.
Can you make a recommendation for a similar yeast from Wyeast Labs. Thanks

Yah, any clean yeast would be great... Notty, 1056, California Ale and the like

I used 1056, accidently fermented a little warm 75, cracked the first bottle today. Awesome light beer. Great recipe

It turns out that I only have 5 lbs of 2 row pale malt. I am going to use maris otter for the additional 2 pounds to bring me up to 7lbs of base malt.
I am still contemplating the vienna. I might just go with a .25lb of vienna since the maris otter has a maltier flavor.
I am still going to include the crystal 10 and carapils. I will let you know how it turns out.

It turns out that I only have 5 lbs of 2 row pale malt. I am going to use maris otter for the additional 2 pounds to bring me up to 7lbs of base malt.
I am still contemplating the vienna. I might just go with a .25lb of vienna since the maris otter has a maltier flavor.
I am still going to include the crystal 10 and carapils. I will let you know how it turns out.

Sounds like it will be fine. Mash it low and if you want it to lighten up and dry out a bit more, do a 75-90 minute mash. Compensate the grain bill though for a higher attenuation so you don't end up with too high an ABV.

Thanks as always Biermuncher!
I will probably toss in one more pound of Maris Otter or a little more Crystal 10 to compensate.
I will post a pint when it is ready.
Off to heat the strike water.....

Biermuncher
You Are the Man :)
Brewed the Centennial (Now named Blondie's Ale) on April 26. Drank the first bottle last night after 10 days in the bottle.
It truly is an inspired brew.....Brilliant
Despite the bad photo attached, the color is bright sunshine yellow. The nose is floral and the taste is balanced.
Even green it has exceptional smoothness. The carbonation is like champagne. A beautiful creamy colored head that lasts the entire glass and coats the class with a wonderful lace.
My wife and daughter are ecstatic and rate the Blonde higher than their previous favorite Boundary Bay's Blonde (Bellingham Washington).
Only problem is a chill haze that will go away soon.
Second Brew is scheduled for Saturday...This won't last long.

centennialblonde.jpg

I JUST poured myself one of these (hey hey hey...I've been cleaning all day I can pour a beer at noon damnit!!)

Dude....congrats! This beer ROCKS! My family is going to be all about it tomorrow!

Any thoughts on dry hopping this recipe? Maybe just 0.5 oz Simcoe, or 0.5 oz Simcoe and 0.5 oz Cascade, or Simcoe/Amarillo, or whatever suits your taste?
Edit: or, duh, keep with the Centennials?

I'll be transferring this to the secondary tomorrow. I used the Cali Ale yeast for it because I have an amber that will get the same yeast. I will advise.

All I can say is yum! I dry hopped with 1/2 oz of Centennial and 1/4 oz of Cascade (what I had left over) for only two days, but it did exactly what I wanted. A slighty sweet hoppy aroma, and a nice floral, citrusy after taste. Took my first swig today and I am a big fan. Should be totaly carbed in a few more days, perfect timing for my wedding this weekend! YEAY! This will go fast. Thanks BierMuncher.

This sounds great! I just picked up some supplies today to make the extract version of this beer. I'm looking forward to the end product in a few weeks!

Biermuncher my props on this recipe.. I'm finally getting around to drinking mine and I can say it isn't going to last long... Very nice recipe!! Easy drinking on the deck! Will be making this one again!

Biermuncher,
I have nottinghams on hand, but wanted your thoughts on trying WLP008 East Coast Ale Yeast....which I have a few pints of washed yeast in the fridge. This was last used on a cream ale, and finished close to crisp. Do you think it would be suitable? I have everything else to do this one AG this Friday.

Thanks,
Karb

Biermuncher,
I have nottinghams on hand, but wanted your thoughts on trying WLP008 East Coast Ale Yeast....which I have a few pints of washed yeast in the fridge. This was last used on a cream ale, and finished close to crisp. Do you think it would be suitable? I have everything else to do this one AG this Friday.

Thanks,
Karb

Anything you can use on a Cream Ale will work just fine with this grain bill. You can mash it a bit longer if you want the beer to be crisper. I wouldn't hesitate.

My LHBS screwed up my hops. They mixed the Centennial in with my Amber and my Cascades in with my blonde. Oh well, I can still hop the blonde up to 23 IBU's with Cascades and Mnt Hood. My amber will be under the IBU count though.......

A little disappointed since the Centennial seemed to be the deal with this beer.

My LHBS screwed up my hops. They mixed the Centennial in with my Amber and my Cascades in with my blonde. Oh well, I can still hop the blonde up to 23 IBU's with Cascades and Mnt Hood. My amber will be under the IBU count though.......

A little disappointed since the Centennial seemed to be the deal with this beer.

Hood Winked Blonde... :D

im on my second keg with this recipe it's amazing goes real fast in the house. thanks for the recipe BierMuncher.

ordered ingredients. AHS didn't have centenial, subbed chinook and since I have never tried them, I ordered the White Labs cal ale 01. AHS was shockingly out of notting dry. :)

Should be fun!

BM thanks for this great recipe. I did a quick turnaround on this one for a party and it was a big hit. This beer is as advertised. Thanks!

I forgot to add carapils to my shopping list when I went to the LHBS, so in a pinch, I subbed a pound of white wheat malt. Otherwise I followed the recipe and looking forward to drinking this. I really liked this recipe the first time I brewed it. This is the first recipe that I've repeat (or tried to repeat), so I definitely agree that it belongs on your "tried & true" list.

Back