Fermentation got too hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhubbell

Reaction score
Okay, so about 40 hours ago I took a gravity reading on my double IPA, it was down to 1.010, which was very close to where I wanted it, so while I was bottling another beer, had my buddy put my heating vest on it to bring it up a couple degrees and finish it off to dry hop today. Too my dismay, I went down this morning to see he transferred the heat jacket - but not the thermostat part. So it was sitting pretty at 40 degrees C!!! I'm sure it's finished fermenting, but it's not gonna carb up properly now right? Any advice - this is my flagship IPA and I've got a line around the block for it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well what damage is done, is probably done. Id immediately rack it off the now probably dead yeast into another secondary, fine it/dry hop it, and cold crash it as soon as possible. If you are bottling, you will need to pitch fresh yeast.

Should I wait to pitch the fresh yeast until bottling?

If it was at final gravity or more than 3-4 days into fermentation, the temperature spike wont hurt the beer. And at 40C (104F), your yeast should still be ok for bottling. It's not ideal during fermentation, but yeast like warm temps and you're still below the upper threshold of their tolerance.

Your beer should be fine.

I did top crop early on from this batch, so I can pitch alittle more yeast to be safe without any added cost or anything. I'm guessing this is my safest bet? I've got it back down to 20 degrees today, racking to a secondary, and dry hopping tonight.

Back