did this get an infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odawg82

Reaction score
I need some input, I have not seen this before. Its my 3rd batch and its an irish golden. I brewed it up last night and this morning it has this white stuff floating on top. Did this batch get infected?

ForumRunner_20130330_092731.jpg

Still fairly new to this myself, but at this point I'd say no...it just looks like the yeast is starting to work and those little specks of yeasties will be the beginning of a nice healthy krausen

Nope it takes awhile for infections to start and even a while sometimes for normal yeast to get going. Cover it up and forget it for a couple of weeks

My wart looks like same picture above except wasn't there a few days ago and now it is. It is week 5 & planning to bottle Sunday or Monday.
It is an Oktoberfest Ale that I racked on day 11.

It looks infected to me. If those things look fuzzy at all then it definitely is. That part just above the center of the picture looks like kind of fuzzy and bubbly to me.

Maybe its the lighting, but my yeast doesn't look that white. Can you give us any more details about how the wort was cooled and how you added the yeast?

Its hard to tell without a clearer picture. Could just be yeast. Can you take one down the carboy opening?

While I suppose anything is possible, I've yet to read anyone on HBT report a visually evident infection within a mere handful of hours of brewing.

I'd go with "Remain Calm and Carry On"...for now, at least...

Cheers!

Back