Scotch Ale Wee Heavy Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenbrews

Reaction score
I'm looking into scotch ale and discovered there are different categories. According to Wikipedia, in Scotland the scotch ale categories used to go like this -
Light - under 3.5% abv
Heavy - between 3.5% and 4.0% abv
Export - between 4.0% and 5.5% abv
Wee heavy - over 6.0% abv

So how are scotch ales categorized in the US today and which style is the most popular in the US?

Also does wee heavy apply to just scotch ale or other beer styles too?

-DZ

A wee heavy IS a 'Strong Scotch Ale' in the 6.5-10% range. The term applies exclusively to that type of brew. It cannot be a wee heavy unless it's a Strong Scotch Ale. Plus, it should [or needs to] follow the style parameters in order to be considered one. There is no 'American' version of a wee heavy (thank gods)... :eek:

I don't know what's made in the US, since I've not bought any. I've not bought beer since I started brewing (in 2010). I would suggest checking out the BJCP guide instead of wikipedia... :rolleyes: Especially since it's off in it's listings.

A Scotch Ale is a Wee Heavy. The lighter beers are known by their "shillings"....60-/, 70-/, and 80-/ and are called Scottish Ales

A Scotch Ale is a Wee Heavy. The lighter beers are known by their "shillings"....60-/, 70-/, and 80-/ and are called Scottish Ales

yuppers... Of course, there's nothing to say that a wee heavy stops at 10% ABV. Especially with the group brew that happened last year (the 12/12/12 recipe) which had a target of pushing Wyeast 1728 to it's limit. Mine hit 12.5%. :rockin: :ban: I still need to try some, but it's sitting in keg, in the basement, carbonating away. :D Might pour a pint on NYE... :rockin:

Back