Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcallin

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been working on my first brew and I picked up the Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale. As it was my first I decided to stick to the instructions so I followed the directions and used 1 KG of dextrose. In the instructions it mentioned that it would cease in 2-4 days. (I'm using a brew belt so it is around 24 celcius) I checked it after 5 days and it was still quite high at about 1020 so I left it for another week it had dropped to 1013 and then 2 days later 1010 and then 4 days later it is at about 1009.

They recommend to not bottle until it is around 1005 or below. Based on the last 4 days of minimal change I'm thinking it won't get to that point and I am now at about 15 days. From what I have read on these forums a lot of people mention that they leave them for about 3 weeks. Would you think I should just leave it as it is for another week or is there anything I can do to help the fermentation finish so I don't have problems when bottling.

Thanks so much for any responses.

Fraser

You can rouse the yeast a bit by rocking the vessel. Try not to splash. Then give it to three weeks.

Thanks for the quick reply. If it doesn't change after another week would it be toast?

So it's been another Five days and about three weeks total and the SG has pretty much stayed the same. So I'm guessing it's fermented as much as it is going to go. Should I just bottle it this weekend and if so any suggestions on priming?

Bottled on Sunday; PET bottles starting to firm up and I'm starting to see some sediment in the bottom. I'll give it a taste in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your assistance.

Fraser, I am just drinking my beer. Same product and same experience as you. This was my second time brewing from a kit. Using a heat belt in my basement it must not have been as warm as I hoped. It took about 17 days before I bottled it at 1009. It measured 5.2% abv. I'm really impressed with the taste, and the foretaste is there, the back or finish should come with age.

Mine did taste okay after I had left it for a few weeks. It didn't have as much fizz as I would of liked but good overall. I've done a few different brews since then and I rarely get below 1.009 so most I just leave it for three weeks and then bottle it. the ABV I usually get is 4-4.5. I'm not sure if it's the way I am brewing it or not putting enough sugar in but I haven't had any issues with bottles going boom so I've just assumed 1.010 is what I shoot for and if it goes lower then that's okay as well:)

Latest posts

Back