Too Bitter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spraderz

Reaction score
Hi. I've recently moved over to kegging. I brew the beer in a wort and then pour it into the keg and gas it up. However its always very bitter now. When I bottled I never had this problem. Whats going on here?

spraderz said:
Hi. I've recently moved over to kegging. I brew the beer in a wort and then pour it into the keg and gas it up. However its always very bitter now. When I bottled I never had this problem. Whats going on here?

A tangent, perhaps: I notice that you joined in January '07, yet this is your first post. Why is it that you waited 6 months to post? Weird . . .

Sorry, posting while drunk over here . . .

hmmmm....Probably need more info here....did you change your recipe, we probably would need just a wee bit more info. There is only one thing that I can think of that would make your beer a little more bitter in a keg......
That would be that the beer is fermenting out all the way in the keg loosing residual sweetness bringing out the bitter.......Has the alpha acid changed......Did you switch hops......What do you mean when you say you brew your beer in a wort? Did you switch yeast?

Thanks Dark Ale

By Wort I mean fermenter. Nothing else changed during the transition from bottling to kegging. There is however no second fermentation anymore but could this affect the flavour?

if you bottled and waited several weeks, vs. kegging and immediately drinking it...the flavor profiles will be different. one has aged/conditioned...the other hasn't.

otherwise, its your recipe, so we need more info.

If you start drinking right away it's going to be bitter. It has to mellow out a bit. I noticed this when kegging. You get to drink it sooner and it's quite tart. After a few days that fades and you get normal tasting beer.

this is easy. do an experiment. bottle half, and keg half. when the bottles are ready, taste a bottle, and pour a pint. see if you can notice any differences in bitterness. if there is, then you should look at your kegging process more closely. though, i don't know what would make it more bitter though...

try the experiment for your next batch though.

Back