time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope and nope.

There's a small amount of hops so it's actually beer, not gruit.

Oooooh Zwolle you're close. But it's going to need to be a specific style... it'll make sense once somebody gets it.

It'll also make more sense once I post a new hint. Is there anybody left who hasn't guessed?

DING DING DING! Very nice. My next hint was going to involve rye... somebody would HAVE to get it then.

To make the sahti I collected juniper branches and berries from the hills surrounding the Truckee Meadows. Boiled a bunch of that with all of the brewing liquor, mashed with said liquor and lined the top of the boil kettle with branches for the wort to "strain" through. Then crushed juniper berries and ground grains of paradise were added with 5 minutes left to the boil.

First time ever doing it. Had no idea how much juniper to use.... I went with the standard metric of "a backpack full."

Post that pic, Boleslaus :mug:

DING DING DING! Very nice. My next hint was going to involve rye... somebody would HAVE to get it then.

To make the sahti I collected juniper branches and berries from the hills surrounding the Truckee Meadows. Boiled a bunch of that with all of the brewing liquor, mashed with said liquor and lined the top of the boil kettle with branches for the wort to "strain" through. Then crushed juniper berries and ground grains of paradise were added with 5 minutes left to the boil.

First time ever doing it. Had no idea how much juniper to use.... I went with the standard metric of "a backpack full."

Post that pic, Boleslaus :mug:

Sounds pretty authentic, especially the bit about using the branches as filter bed. How does it taste, I'm thinking of using two smaller 3.5 gal fermenters to experiment with historic/spiced beers.

I realize it is a terrible picture, but maybe it will make it that much harder to guess. I was drunk and too excited about shooting off fireworks. So the hint is it should be clear, which it is, this was the first pour.

Sounds pretty authentic, especially the bit about using the branches as filter bed. How does it taste, I'm thinking of using two smaller 3.5 gal fermenters to experiment with historic/spiced beers.

Oh my god it was fantastic!!! It satisfied beer geeks, girls who drink girly girl drinks, BMC drinkers, etc. Came out at a quaffable and refreshing 4.2% ABV. When first kegged and carbed the aroma was strooooong and had me worried that I used too much. But the flavor is smooth, slightly subdued and if I were to sum up the flavor it added in one word I would go with "bittersweet"... that's really the first thing that comes to mind. As it sat longer it mellowed and married even better... I wonder if bark tannins from juniper evolve into something tasty like how oak evolves into vanillin.

yea I know. How can he have guessed that. There's no way from that pic.

I just brewed an Alt recently and it looked kinda similar so I figured why not?

And I'll go with 7A. Northern German Altbier.

Haha, if I'm wrong, pick 7C!

Brewed from a Northern Brewer kit. I had a "spare bucket" to ferment in but a friend insisted I use his carboy.

photo-4.jpg

TomOliver said:
Brewed from a Northern Brewer kit. I had a "spare bucket" to ferment in but a friend insisted I use his carboy.

Oud Bruin

Haha, American Pale Ale is correct but I don't think anyone used my clue.

I said "Spare Bucket" as in Extra Pail or Extra Pale Ale as in the name of the kit.

Haha, oh well. Passedpawn's turn!

passedpawn said:
apa

brave, fermenting on carpet.

I fermented in the only room in my entire house with carpet until I got my fermentation freezer a few weeks ago. I always use blow-off tubes for the the beginning of my fermentations though...

The one unfortunate thing I actually had happen was somebody knocking over my stirplate, spilling about 250 Billion yeast cells, and a liter of starter liquid.

passedpawn said:
Damn. Nice. (did you see a previous post of mine regarding that, or are you just a super guesser?)

Anyhoo, it's JFRANK85's turn to post a pic!

Lol nope first guess, just lucky I suppose.

Back