Your opinions on this recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetizz

Reaction score
Partial-mash Doppelbock

9 lbs Munich lme
2 lb German Vienna Malt
2 lb German Munich malt
1 lb Warminster Floor Malted Maris Otter
1 lb Fawcett Oat Malt
1 lb Weyermann Melanoidin
1 lb Weyermann Caramunich III
1 lb Caramunich

1 oz perle 60 min
1 oz hersbrucker 60 min

2 x White labs 920 - Old Bavarian Lager w/ stired starter

Im still new to mashing. with that said, what mash schedule would you guys use for this?

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated!!!

:mug:

Depends on what you're going for. Since you're new to mashing I'd probably just stick to a single infusion one hour mash. It's not hard to do and will produce consistently good results. Step infusions are a little bit harder to get consistent with at home. Not impossible of course but trickier.

BUMP

Am i crazy for using a pound of each specialty grains?
If so what would you change?

So i went ahead and plugged this into BrewMate just to take a look. I'm assuming you're making a 5 gallon batch, which puts your abv at around 11.2% if you're getting 70% efficiency. Your IBU's look good for a dopplebock, super malty is good for a dopplebock too. I'd probably leave it as is. You're not going to learn what this recipe tastes like if you don't make it.

A few things to consider for future reference just based on how I generally make recipes:
* For simplicity sake, the munich dme and munich grains are pretty much the same thing. You could up the dme and not use the munich grains at all.

* I'd probably add a bit of chocolate malt or black patent to give it a touch of roastiness in the finish. I'm a fan of that in a big malty beer.

New Recipe (Doppelbock)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.114 (°P): 26.7
Colour (SRM): 20.1 (EBC): 39.6
Bitterness (IBU): 25.4 (Average)

50% Liquid Malt Extract - Light
11.11% Munich I
11.11% Vienna
5.56% Caramunich I
5.56% Caramunich III
5.56% Flaked Oats
5.56% Maris Otter Malt
5.56% Melanoidin

0.2 oz/Gal Hersbrucker (2.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 oz/Gal Perle (6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 151°F for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 72°F with

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

This started out as a bock extract kit from Northern Brewerminus the yeast. I had some WLP 920-old bavairian lager so i decided id do a doppelbock instead. So i started building a partial mash to go with it. Thats why i have 9 lbs of lme. The specialty malts is where im concerned.

Using a pound of each. they are sold by the pound so i figured id just use em. but after looking at it it seemed a little excessive. So i thought i would run it buy the folks here and get some input.

11.2% alcohol is on the high side for a dopplebock but its not unheard of. Nothing in your grain bill is going to make it bad or wierd or anything like that. Its just going to be a big beer, on the malty/sweet side. The only reason to use less is to bring down your alcohol % and make it a bit weaker beer.

If you are that concerned about it, just cut all your specialty grains in half. That'll still give you the flavors you're looking for, a big malty sweet beer but it'll balance a bit better and closer to 8% alcohol.

Yeah I want to know the results too, brew it! I usually go for as few specialty grains in German beers as possible, so I'm curious as to what the other side is like.

Back