Anyone ever brewed with Mustard Seed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vast_reaction

Reaction score
I know it sounds nuts, but I was just eating a sandwich with some stone-ground pub mustard in it, and I crunched a few of the seeds and they have a really good flavor to them. Kinda spicy, really specific and unique. With all the other weird stuff that people are experimenting with, just wondered if this ever made it into anyone's brew? If not, I think I'm going to brew up a 1 gallon test batch, see what Mustard Seed adds.

I was recently considering this too, definitely keep us informed if you go ahead with it

Sounds different. Try using some Rye in your beer as well as some of the hops reported to give off onion flavors. Then you will have yourself a liquid sandwich.

Hmmm. I have 180,000 lbs of mustard seed if you some extra. :)

OK I'll bite... why do you have 180,000 lbs of mustard seeds? That's a heck of a lot of little seeds!

Edit: Ahh just saw profile Farmer in MT. Planning on planting or harvested?

I had this Belgian strong pale at a local bar:

Wostyntje Mustard Ale

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/322/9749

Very subtle mustard flavor. I honestly can't say I would have guessed it had mustard if the menu hadn't pointed it out. That said, it was an interesting beer. I've been kicking around the idea of a mustard seed saison.

It makes sense that it would be used in a wit, since we use coriander in them, and they are one of the ingredients used in mustard. Many wits have a distinctive mustardy sort of flavor to them or at least a flavor that works well with mustard.

Celis White to me is very mustard/corriander like to me.

celis-white-mich.gif

In fact it pairs well with crackers with swiss cheese and a nice bold mustard.

I've also used it to make "Welsh Rare-bit." Which uses mustard and cheese and beer. I've swapped cheddar on occasion for swiss and it all goes together nicely.

OK I'll bite... why do you have 180,000 lbs of mustard seeds? That's a heck of a lot of little seeds!

Edit: Ahh just saw profile Farmer in MT. Planning on planting or harvested?

We harvested 200 acres in august. It is a new crop for us that has been working out well. By next summer it will be in French's mustard bottles.

I love mustard and love beer. Subscribed.

We harvested 200 acres in august. It is a new crop for us that has been working out well. By next summer it will be in French's mustard bottles.

OK, since we all know how tiny a mustard seed is, What the heck does 180,000 pounds look like?????? :fro:

Well I just keep running into interesting brewers with interesting occupations here on HBT. Glad your new crop worked out well for you!

I like the rye or wheat & mustard seed idea... how much mustard seed will be the issue. An ounce? I use more coriander than that so that's probably be where I start. Maybe Less in a belgian rye pale or Maybe more in a wit.

Please post a pic of the silo or storge unit. Would love to see how much space those little seeds are taking up!

I wish I could get Celis around here love that wit!

+1 on the wit...exactly what I was thinking. I'm not sure how to pinpoint how much mustard seed to crush up (use same amt as coriander?). Sounds VERY interesting.

Once I bottle my mead I may try a 1 gallon. I don't like doing 1 gallon experimentals but a simple extract smash m&f may be the way to go. I'd start with a 5th of an ounce in the late boil.

Once I bottle my mead I may try a 1 gallon. I don't like doing 1 gallon experimentals but a simple extract smash m&f may be the way to go. I'd start with a 5th of an ounce in the late boil.

Be sure to post back about how this works out...I might have to try a 1 gallon myself.

1/5th of an ounce in the late boil of one gallon sounds amazingly excessive. Grains of paradise/peppercorns are usually used in the 1/8th of a teaspoon range for 5 gallons.
A mustard saison sounds promising, btw.

I will. May be do a second small extract batch while teaching some noobs. Might actually drive the extract brew process home for them.

If you use the right combo of yeast I think a saison sounds good. Some of the more tart/sweet ones would work with mustard....I'm not a big fan of how pepper(saison characteristic)+mustard sounds personally.

I don't think mustard seed is really strong. is it? most flavor from "mustard" is vinegar and other things... coriander is a strong spice... thoughts? mustard powder in Ceaser salad is pretty weak... just dry spicy flavor. Am I wrong?

Mustard seeds are pretty strong in curry and other Indian dishes...I wouldn't pile them on...maybe a couple of pilot batches at different spice levels(?)

I just got a second cheap wine jug... heywatchthis... as we spoke! with another air lock and stopper, I can do a 2 gallon smash. sounds like you have some more experience with mustard seed. where would you start? per gallon. love indian... love coriander... thoughts?

Edit: Huffing spice rack now :D not a whole lot of aroma from seeds or ground... may come through in boil?:drunk:

I was thinking maybe one of the one gallon batches at 0.05 oz (5 gallon equivalent of 0.25 oz) and one of the one gallon batches at 0.10 oz (5 gallon equivalent of 0.50 oz). Somebody else should weigh in here too...just kind of thinking out loud.

I'm thinking about what Sam from Dogfish (on Brewmasters show) does... putting some crushed spice in a neutral beer letting it soak & taste with herb floating free. I'm Picking up a SC (RJ ROCKERS LIGHT ROCK) Kolsh this weekend. May reserve a bottle for a test... any one want to check back on sunday or monday with doing same crushed spice test? I'd do it now but I have nothing light/neutralish in house....

By huffing mustard powder & seed... and chewing a few seeds... snorting the powder (just kidding) just tasted... it may be more about flavor than aroma...

This is interesting. I am able to take advantage of a HUGE Indian population in my city and have a LOT of access to a LOT of spices. The mustard seed we get here isn't very strong, but does increase it's aroma after a light toasting in a dry frying pan. I would suggest this to pick up some nutty qualities. It would probably do well in a brown ale perhaps.

ps: if anyone is looking for good spices, cheap, i will grab what you need and trade for homebrew or specialty grains.

I have a farmers market I can get some odd herbs and spices from... HOWEVER I don't think I've seen mustard seed. I'm in the deep south.. oddities are rare. I'd be relying on grocery store stuff. fineexampl, I used to be a yankee! I know where Edison is. I'm going to start with grocery store stale stuff. BUT if it comes out good I may need your help with some fresh stuff I can't get in the deep south... DAMN some times I miss Philly.

Fineexample... Would do a trade for spice in a heart beat if trials come out good!

I have a farmers market I can get some odd herbs and spices from... HOWEVER I don't think I've seen mustard seed. I'm in the deep south.. oddities are rare. I'd be relying on grocery store stuff. fineexampl, I used to be a yankee! I know where Edison is. I'm going to start with grocery store stale stuff. BUT if it comes out good I may need your help with some fresh stuff I can't get in the deep south... DAMN some times I miss Philly.

Fineexample... Would do a trade for spice in a heart beat if trials come out good!

Have you ever tried the indian grocery that I found in your town via google?

Indian Grocery Shop
3203 W Palmetto St # E
Florence, SC 29501-5900
(843) 667-9859

Just about every city has some ethnic market these days, mexican, asian, indian....ANd the ingredients for brewing can be amazing...and cheap.

Have you ever tried the indian grocery that I found in your town via google?

Indian Grocery Shop
3203 W Palmetto St # E
Florence, SC 29501-5900
(843) 667-9859

Just about every city has some ethnic market these days, mexican, asian, indian....ANd the ingredients for brewing can be amazing...and cheap.

NO! I have not! It's about 2 miles from my place! Thanks yet again Revy YODA! You are the brewing Master!:mug:

With mustard seed, I'd play with a smoked ancho chili porter. Sounds really fantastic as a BBQ or cold night beer. Basically, take your standard brown porter recipe, sub out two pounds of Weyermann smoked for the base malt, and play with the chili and mustard seeds (be conservative - you can always add more in the keg).

Don't forget to look for sugars like Jaggery, and date palm mollasses, and date palm syrups. Plenty of fun fermentables to be found there.

Just last last week I had to look up Jaggey to find out what is was on a post here! I may have a source! A new Indian restaurant just opened here in town in the last few months... heard it's good! Can't wait to play! I'm sure they are getting the stuff from the previous post!

Yeah, I just watched the most recent episode of Brew Masters where Sam is tasting the spice tea insfusions in a base beer. I'm going to try it with some mustard seed in the next week, and try some other combinations as well, like orange zest/mustard seed. Glad to see there's so much interest in this. Thanks to Revvy's post, I also found a couple of ethnic markets in my neighborhood to go peruse!

-Matt

OK, since we all know how tiny a mustard seed is, What the heck does 180,000 pounds look like?????? :fro:

IMAG0001.jpg

Not a very exciting picture, but the mustard seed is in this bin in my dad's backyard. It is direct from the field and full of chaff/bug parts, but if anyone wants bulk mustard seed let me know.

that's A LOT of little seeds!!!!!!

Looks like really beautiful country. I have a buddy who spent several years there during his military days... He just loved it! Fly fishing for trout in his off hours...

I would love to get there some day. Fish for big wild browns! Brown trout fight better than rainbow any day of the week!

SC Doesn't really have the trout like I grew up with in PA... miss that part of PA... but now I have winter golf!

Just curious about how any of these beers turned out, if at all. I just made my first batch of mustard. Apparently, most of the spiciness and flavor of the mustard is a result of a chemical reaction which occurs when the seeds are soaked in a cool liquid for some amount of time (15 min to several hours). So, chewing on a seed isn't really a good predictor of what it'll taste like...

Results, anyone?

Hello Brewers!
I do a test with mustard seed and want exchange experience with you.

I really like what the seeds give to the beer, in flavor and aroma. I think its a very good spice and I'll test it again. In other hand, i had some problems. First with the color, then with the carbonation.

The color has increased, from yellow/gold to cooper/deep cooper. But when I drop in the second glass it show a different color, a yellow cloudy. So, I think that the seeds releases some substances that colored the beer...

About carbonation, It is poor. Little head without retention or sustain. In mouthfeel, nothing too. In few minutes it's flat. Perhaps the seed have some fat...

Well, I know the thread are old, but I'm new here and don't want create a new. Its good to concentrate the information.

Hello Brewers!
I do a test with mustard seed and want exchange experience with you.

I really like what the seeds give to the beer, in flavor and aroma. I think its a very good spice and I'll test it again. In other hand, i had some problems. First with the color, then with the carbonation.

The color has increased, from yellow/gold to cooper/deep cooper. But when I drop in the second glass it show a different color, a yellow cloudy. So, I think that the seeds releases some substances that colored the beer...

About carbonation, It is poor. Little head without retention or sustain. In mouthfeel, nothing too. In few minutes it's flat. Perhaps the seed have some fat...

Well, I know the thread are old, but I'm new here and don't want create a new. Its good to concentrate the information.

What was the base beer you used for it? This sounds like it could be great! I really like making off the wall beers.

Doing a little research on this it looks like mustard seeds are 30% oil which would explain no head in the beer but I dont think it would make it completely flat. Would you mind pming me or posting your recipe? I would like to try this

Ok, now I found my mistake. Because I do it in maturation, 1g/L for 2 or 3 weeks before bottling. My priming was 8,5g/L.
If I use them in boil the oil may be expelled.

Follow the recipe for 25L Saison

4,5kg Pilsen
3kg Vienna
0,75kg Acid
0,50kg Caraamber
0,25kg Table Sugar
50g Styrian Goldings 60min
15g Fuggle 40min
26g Styrian Goldings 5min
1kg WLP 566

During fermentation it was ok, full of acid and citrus aroma/flavor but in maturation it was being lost. I would use some citrus fruits like lemon, orange and some others, but when I found this seeds I don't think twice.

I'll do a 100L of this recipe this week.

Let's Brew!

Back