Chimay Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently bought a bottle of Chimay Cinq Cents.

At the bottom was this thick layer of yeast. I drank the beer, then carefully saved the yeast in another container.

Question: I want to make a Tripel, and would like to use this yeast. Anyone know if Belgian brewers or Chimay in general use a different yeast for bottling?

Obviously, the yeast would have to have a high alcohol tolerance if used for bottling, and I doubt they would use something that would cause any off-flavors in that style of beer.

In a book detailing some different clone beers they say to harvest the yeast from the bottles of some of the beers and chimay is one of them.

That's exactly my dilemma--

I have read in the clone brews books that you can harvest and use it.

I've also heard rumors that it is a different strain. It would be nice to "capture" their strain for a tripel I have planned, but I don't want to screw it up by using some unintended strain, either.

From my understanding, Chimay uses the same unique belgian yeast. I know that Unibroue, on the other hand, uses a more neutral yeast for the bottle fermentation/conditioning.

However, the White Labs #WLP500 Trappist Ale yeast is a strain they got from Chimay, so it's as legit as harvesting from the bottle. I used it in my last batch with great results.

Back