mismatched hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronwillen

Reaction score
So i got all my stuff ready to brew today on this nice snowy day. Somehow I managed to forgot to order hops!! I have about 3 oz of hallertau in the freezer from a month or 2 ago. I am brewing a porter which calls for northern brewer and cascade at 60. Could I just use the hallertau instead as this will just be for bittering...or is this going to ruin things. I dont feel like going out in the snow to the lhbs which is sort of far....

You definitely won't ruin anything, you might be pleasantly surprised by the results. I've never used hallerteau or brewed a Porter, but I would say just make sure the IBU's are correct for the style and go for it.

I'd do less flavoring and aroma hopping with them just in case but if you run the numbers and get the right starting IBU's by using them as bittering hops wouldn't present any problems based on my knowledge. The long boil of bittering hops removes most of the hops flavoring qualities and just about all of the aroma anyways.

The basic question is: Do you have enough to match the IBUs? Hallertau AA% covers a large range. If the recipe called for 1 oz. of NB @ 9% and 1 oz of Cascade @ 5% and your Hallertau is 5-6%, it will work. If it's 2%, then no.

i ended up being okay...my hallertaus were 8.6 alpha so it worked out alright for the porter....however I was about a half gallon short..but did hit the gravity I wanted to at least!

Back