In praise of kegging...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about 2 years and had stuck to bottling. I was reluctant to realize how simple a keg setup could be, and I suppose I wanted to be a purist. After a few bad bacthes (which may or may not be due to my bottling procedure), I borrowed my buddy's keg/tank to give it a try. The 1st batch was a brown, that I let naturally ferment (for a good month or so) before cooling and tapping. It was a big hit at the tailgate-and was amazingly easy.

But the amazing thing was the Bee Cave IPA that I kegged Saturday night. I decided to give force-carbing a try, so I kegged, dry-hopped, set to 13psi and stuck it all in the fridge. Yesterday I was brewing with my buddy and wanted him to be able to try it-even if it was still flat. To my surprise, there was plenty of foam and it had a great mouthfeel. I can tell that a little more time will help the CO2 dissolve, but this was fantastic beer and the most intense hop-effect I've ever experienced from dry-hopping. This was a mere 36 hours after kegging, and only 23 days since brewing.

To know that I can simplify and shorten the whole process-and factor out potential pitfals (conditioning/ bottle ferm temps, feeding a slight infection via priming, bottle sanitation) has really gotten me fired up about brewing again. I'm amazed that it took me so long to realize how much this method makes sense!

started collecting kegging supplies after the second batch i bottled. i think im just lazy. but gald to hear it.

I never bottled, went right to kegging. I was going to bottle, but finding bottles was becoming a chore. Didn't want to spend money on bottles ... find a place to store them ... find enough room to cool them ... and time. I knew that if I wanted a beer bottled, I could just bottle from the keg.

Pissed off SWMBO by getting 3 keg system delivered before Xmas. Supposed to be presents for everyone else, not me!

Force carbed Marzen, Scottish Ale and Porter to serve over the holidays. I may bottle some from the keg but I'm getting rid of a LOT of bottles.

I love kegging and the ease.

The convenience of not having to collect and clean bottles combined with no longer having to spend two hours bottling a batch it absolutely worth it if you have the money and a fridge to throw the kegs in. I started keg on my third batch and will never go back to bottles. I will bottle off the keg to share. Keeping 15-20 bottles around for this purpose is far better than collecting and cleaning every viable bottle that comes your way.

Yeah, but if she likes your beer, she'll be showing it off at your next party and you'll be king for the night. :D

Already am good sir! She complains about the obsession I have and laments getting me started in the hobby, but she sure likes the beer I make.

Back