Rusty beer faucets and shanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newell456

Reaction score
My wife just found me some sets of faucets, shanks, and taps at a yard sale for a good price, but the faucets and shanks have some surface rust on the inside. I disassembled and cleaned the faucets and shanks, and I rinsed the completed parts in cheap vodka to remove any moisture. At this point I have 3 questions, but I'd appreciate suggestions on any of the questions.

Would these be okay for serving beer?

Does anyoine have tips or product suggestions to better clean them?

Are the faucets internal o-rings hard to find?

1. Would these be okay for serving beer?

2. Does anyoine have tips or product suggestions to better clean them?

3. Are the faucets internal o-rings hard to find?

1. Thats probably what they were used for previously. As long as they are clean you should be fine.

2. Hmmmmmmmm. Try CLR. Followed by some intensive rinsing. Then Id go with OxiClean. Rinse. Sanitize.

3. Shouldnt be.

1. Thats probably what they were used for previously. As long as they are clean you should be fine.

2. Hmmmmmmmm. Try CLR. Followed by some intensive rinsing. Then Id go with OxiClean. Rinse. Sanitize.

3. Shouldnt be.

Thanks for the reply. They were used for beer previously- I just didn't know if it was a lost cause once they developed any rust on the inside.

I was under the assumption that the gasket integral to the plunger thingy inside the faucet. I dont think you can replace that gasket without replacing the whole metal piece. Now there is another gasket between the shank and the faucet right? Those are easily replaced.

I would treat them with a rust-stabilizer, otherwise, you might have problems with metallic flavors and particles breaking loose. Just get the liquid type and run a few drops though.

I would treat them with a rust-stabilizer, otherwise, you might have problems with metallic flavors and particles breaking loose. Just get the liquid type and run a few drops though.

Thanks, but I didn't really follow that. Are you saying that I should not use CLR, and what do you mean by "liquid type."

Just saying CLR won't convert & stabilize the rust. It would be fine for cleaning after the rust treatment. By liquid, I mean not-a-gel or a spray. Rust stabilizers convert the rust into an oxide the will stick to the base metal and not allow further rusting.

Just saying CLR won't convert & stabilize the rust. It would be fine for cleaning after the rust treatment. By liquid, I mean not-a-gel or a spray. Rust stabilizers convert the rust into an oxide the will stick to the base metal and not allow further rusting.

Thanks. Can anyone recomend a good rust stabilizer and where to find one. I'm not familar with this product.

Back