too long in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madrean

Reaction score
hi guys,

brewing a st. peters cream stout---

how long is too long in secondary?

it's been in there pushing 3 weeks.

i'm not worried about whether it's finished (the SG is done i think).

my worry is off flavors developing.

thx!

I had a stout in the secondary for just over 2 months back at Christmas...I think yours is fine. Off flavors shouldn't develop if you've been meticulous with your sanitation and left the bulk of the trub in the primary.

You should be fine. I sometimes even leave my lighter ales in the secondary for that long.

I'm thinking I may leave my recent brews in the secondary a bit longer than 2 weeks myself. My export pilsner was rather cloudy when I racked over. After a day I can see the top levels starting to clarify. So that will stay in secondary until clear. The stout just seems to cry out for a longer secondary spell.

homebrewer_99 said:
I'd be interested in how you made an export since, by definition, it's a foreign beer that's been pasteurized prior to importation....:D
It's a Munton's no-boil kit. Had not made a batch from one of these kits, so thought a light pilsner would be a good test.

When I stopped at Midwest to pick up the Stout extract kit the guys said this was normal for a pilsner and should clarify over time but they recommended at least two weeks and keep the carboy in a dark location.

homebrewer_99 said:
I'd be interested in how you made an export since, by definition, it's a foreign beer that's been pasteurized prior to importation....:D

Where'd ya get that definition?

You can get lots of German Export beers in Germany, never been out of the country and couldn't spell pastyoureyesayshun if the Reinheitsgebot depended on it.

That is one of the perks of racking to a secondary. You dont have to wrorry about it too much. Its fine:)

Back