Pitched on roselare/dregs cake with no activity 40hrs in. HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseHair

Reaction score
So i pitched a brown ale base(1.052) on a 1 year old roselare cake that also had dregs from several commercial sours/brett beers and 40 hours in theres still no signs of activity. The beer the cake came from finished at 8.5% abv and im wondering if that has something to do with the issue and all the bugs are dead. Should i wait it out or run to the LHBS and grab some fresh bugs.

Give it one more day, then I'd start to worry. 8.5% is a little high, and I'm sure it killed the lacto, but the pedio will remain, and the smaller population of sour bacteria should counteract the increased sourness of a second generation Roselare cake.

Even if it appears like it's not moving in twenty fours, don't rack it into a new carboy, leave the old bugs there. They'll either be a nice nutrient for the new bugs to increase sour/funkyness, or maybe some wake up and help out. Who knows

Give it one more day, then I'd start to worry. 8.5% is a little high, and I'm sure it killed the lacto, but the pedio will remain, and the smaller population of sour bacteria should counteract the increased sourness of a second generation Roselare cake.

Even if it appears like it's not moving in twenty fours, don't rack it into a new carboy, leave the old bugs there. They'll either be a nice nutrient for the new bugs to increase sour/funkyness, or maybe some wake up and help out. Who knows

Yeah i kind of figured the lacto would be completely gone hopefully i get some movement soon.

After a year with beer on it I would have added some fresh yeast to that cake. Add a pack of US05 if you have it.
+1. you have no live sacc in there. pedio and lacto are slow. the Roeselare originally had sacc in it, that's what took off quickly. you need to replenish it. i believe that the sacc in Roeselare is the Achouff yeast (Ardennes by Wyeast), but any sacc should do the trick.

I ended up not touching it and as of this morning there was a krausen that has grown throughout the day and it seems to be chugging along nicely. thanks for the help

Back