Think i might need more yeast? Gravity Dropping Slowly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhblake

Reaction score
About two weeks ago i planned on making a 5 gallon batch of JAOM but desided i will try that next with the fleshmen bread yeast so instead i made two batches of what i hope will be a Dry Orange Blossom Mead i wanted to see if some of you experts could look over how things are progressing. Do you think i should add more yeast to the larger batch? I'm aware patients is important just looking to see if everything appears to be going well.... I may have pitched the yeast into the hotter temp range because i added a little 100 degree water in both fermentor to dissolved the honey, and while filling the fermenters with cooler water i also pitched the yeast. I am stirring daily and following a SNA schedule (first and second stage SNA complete). Both fermenters currently sitting at 68-70 degree range

5.5 Gallon Batch Brewed on 3-17-13
13 Lbs orange blossom Honey
4 Gallons of filtered tap water
10 grams Lavlin D47
White Labs Yeast nurtient WLN1000 HB - SNA
SG - 1.082 -3-17-13
1.080 - 3-19-13
1.070 - 3-21-13

1 Gallon Batch Brewed on 3-17-13
3 Lbs orange Blossom Honey
.75 gallon filtered tap water
5 Grams Lavlin D47
White Labs Yeast nurtient WLN1000 HB - SNA
Adding BlueBerries @ secondary
SG -1.104 - 3-17-13
1.090 - 3-19-13
1.074 - 3-21-13

It looks like you're in fine shape to me it's only been 4 days, If it's not done after 2 to 2.5 weeks, that's when you should start worrying about it.

Have you been aerating 2 times a day? Open up your bucket in the morning and in the evening and stir the living ***t out of it. If you have a whisk to do it, that's even better, just remember to sanitize your stirrer.

It looks like you're in fine shape to me it's only been 4 days, If it's not done after 2 to 2.5 weeks, that's when you should start worrying about it.

Have you been aerating 2 times a day? Open up your bucket in the morning and in the evening and stir the living ***t out of it. If you have a whisk to do it, that's even better, just remember to sanitize your stirrer.

Thanks MB, yeah i've been really whipping it when stirring/degassing but only once a day. Do you recommend twice a day?

I aerate 3 times a day during the first half of fermentation. Once before I go to work, Once when I get home, and Once before bed. Two I think is fine as well, can't hurt at this stage.

Once a day is fine...... hell you could run it on a laboratory stir plate if you wanted.......

I aerate once a day generally as thats all I can guarantee, depending on work I might be able to spin it twice. Both have worked fine.

Back