Nonstop fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattbeer

Reaction score
Last weekend I cooked up a red ale. At the end of the cook I added 1lb of honey. I used a yeast starter and as usual, fermentation happened within 12 hours. I used a blow off, and when it finally calmed down, 7 days later I put on an airlock. 10 days later there is a constant bubbling. Please help!

I've never used honey in a beer, but some of my mead primary fermentations using non-filtered honey have lasted for two or three months. It's done when it's done. Did you take an OG reading?

No, I broke my hydrometer during the cook, so I never got an OG. I replaced it, but its useless for this batch. It was made from scratch, so I don't have a general idea of when its going to be done. Should I just assume that when it stops bubbling, I can send it to a secondary? Then I'll bottle a week later?

Use that new hydrometer to take a gravity reading, then wait three days and take another. If they're the same, it's done. If not, the yeast is still working.

Follow pernox's advice. When the gravity is stable, give it 3-4 more days to clean up, then rack to secondary or do whatever your going to do.

why move it to a secondary? it won't make the beer better to move it off of the yeast. anyway, the airlock can bubble for a variety of reasons even after the beer is completely fermented, the hydrometer is the best way to determine when it's done even if you don't have the starting gravity.

Back