I'm building a home bar with 4 draft lines, how can I chill my kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearaids

Reaction score
I need to find a good solution to cooling my kegs for my home bar. I would like to have 4 kegs on tap (corny kegs), but my biggest challenge is how to best keep them cold. I have seen keezer builds, but with the location of my bar, I am not convinced this will be the best option. The problem with the keezer is the top needs to swing open to change out the kegs. I want everything to be hidden under my bar. I suppose I could pull out the keezer when I need to change a keg, but then I would need excess slack in the beer lines to let me roll it out. Basically, this is not an ideal option.

Has anyone had any success in making a custom cooling box? Could I make a "box" under my bar that is large enough to house my kegs and CO2, make sure it is well insulated, have it cooled by a mini fridge with the door open/off, then just have the tap tower directly above it with a hole drilled in the bar? Would that work? Has anyone had success in something like this? How would I make a door that swings open but doesn't leak out cold air? What type of cooling system should I use to cool the space?

Any tips, tricks, or advice on this would be appreciated.

you could always build an insulated box and rip out the guts of an old mini fridge? i've seen it done a few times, works well, but i'm not sure how hard that compressor is going to work.

If you're still in the design stage, I'd just try to put a standard kegerator into the build and put the tower on top of the counter. That way if/when you have problems, it's easy to pull the unit out and fix it or replace it. Most kegerators only hold 3 cornies and you can do a triple tower. The Bev-Air and similar models hold 4 cornies, but then you'd need a custom tower to do the 4 taps.

If you don't want a big build, you could always just do 2 mini-fridges side-by-side.

If you have a nearby closet or hollow space under some stairs or something like that, or even room for a cooler/fridge on the back wall of your bar, you could store the corny kegs remotely and chill them with glycol on the way to the taps. That's what most bars do.

I don't know the layout of your bar, but I had the similar problems to overcome. I wanted a bar that could chill my beer, but I didn't want to see the keezer. So I custom built a bar around a new chest freezer. Part of the bar lifts up displaying a goodies inside the chest freezer. Here is the link to my bar build.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ongoing-basement-bar-build-369105/

Tim

Something like this? From homebarolans.com. Key to cooling is air movement. Two PC fans in box on cold plate and two near compressor in back. Sorry www.homebarplans.com

image-1186043566.jpg

image-303214185.jpg

image-3981309506.jpg

I've done the mini-fridge thing except with a small upright freezer, and it's been a success. The compressor has to work more than normal, but it holds it's own. Just be sure to insulate well (I have 3 inches of foam for about an R15) and keep air circulating with a few fans. I actually repurposed the freezer door onto the face of the bar and it works fantasticly.

Back