Thanksgiving Keezer Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StressedPenguin

Reaction score
I brewed my first two beers in anticipation of family coming for Thanksgiving and poured the first beer of each with my Father. I hadn't had time to create the taps out of the top so we would just open the top up and grab a tap from a bucket I had on the inside. I was pouring beers for the first few beers but the last day my father poured the last one...

Fast forward to yesterday and I opened my keezer to four gallons of the last keg filling the bottom, CO2 tank empty. When he was done pouring he didn't close the tap all the way and just put it back in the bucket...

Now I'm out of beer!

photo.jpg

I guess next time I will sanitize the outside if the keg and inside of the freezer just in case!

I had a picnic tap get pushed open from closing the lid and it getting stuck on top of the keg.

even though it's a hassle, the safest bet is to disconnect the picnic tap when not in use

Same thing can happen if you have threaded ends on your beer line and they are loose. I had cleaned the lines and had not tightened the nut enough where it attaches to the liquid out disconnect. Just enough for a very slow leak, fortunately I caught it but still wasted a gallon at least.

Same thing can happen if you have threaded ends on your beer line and they are loose. I had cleaned the lines and had not tightened the nut enough where it attaches to the liquid out disconnect. Just enough for a very slow leak, fortunately I caught it but still wasted a gallon at least.

You may have just gotten my Father off the hook, I bet that is what happened. Probably loosened up a bit. Thanks!

. . . the safest bet is to disconnect the picnic tap when not in use
Did that once and didn't notice that the poppet valve had stuck just a little. By morning the keg and CO2 tank were empty. Luckily there were only a few pints left in the keg. This was in an upright fridge. Five gallons on the floor would have been quite the mess. :cross:

Did that once and didn't notice that the poppet valve had stuck just a little. By morning the keg and CO2 tank were empty. Luckily there was only a few pints left in the keg. :cross:

I had the same thing happen, twice. Actually, once I think the disconnect wasn't fully latched onto the beer-out post. Anyway, the result was not pretty. I had more than a few pints in those kegs :(

Back