Brewers best ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssiimmoonn

Reaction score
Thinking of picking up a Brewers best milk stout kit, just out of ease the place down the road carries this. If I pick it up this afternoon would I be able to be brewing right away? Or will I need to do yeast starter or get a new yeast al together? (I read these kits yeast aren't that reliable) this place doesn't carry the wyeast packets

My first brew was a Brewers Best IIPA.
Came with a packet of dry yeast (Safale US-05).
I pitched dry and it attenuated just fine (1.080 down to 1.022).

I recommend rehydrating though which I did for my 2nd batch (not a kit).
I boiled 1/2 cup tap water and let cool to 80°. When the yeast dissolved it started to form a type of cream. I stirred gently every few minutes from then till I pitched (about an hour). Fermentation took off in less than 12 hours.

Thinking of picking up a Brewers best milk stout kit, just out of ease the place down the road carries this. If I pick it up this afternoon would I be able to be brewing right away? Or will I need to do yeast starter or get a new yeast al together? (I read these kits yeast aren't that reliable) this place doesn't carry the wyeast packets

I brewed this kit on Wednesday. Everything needed is included.

Everything included and ready to go out of box? Was hoping to get it done today right after I pick it up so I can make sure to call it MLK stout...

Everything included and ready to go out of box? Was hoping to get it done today right after I pick it up so I can make sure to call it MLK stout...

Definitely.
Comes with Extract, specialty grains (and grain bag if it has specialties), hops and yeast.
As long as you've got a brew pot of some kind and primary fermenter, you're good to go.

I didn't know BB had a milk stout. I love the one from Left Hand Brewing. It tastes like it has cold coffee in it too. Might have to try that one.

I've brewed the milk stout kit as well - delicious. I also added some sanitized decaf coffee beans to the primary two days before bottling and it worked out really well!

WarblyTremolo said:
I've brewed the milk stout kit as well - delicious. I also added some sanitized decaf coffee beans to the primary two days before bottling and it worked out really well!

Nice, like the sound of the coffee additions , how'd you do the yeast? I havent worked with A dry yeast before.

ssiimmoonn said:
Nice, like the sound of the coffee additions , how'd you do the yeast? I havent worked with A dry yeast before.

Just dump it into 1/2 cup of warm, sanitized water (68-75 degrees) for 30 minutes before you pitch it. After its been in the water 10 minutes, give it a little stir (sanitize the stirring device!). It should get all frothy which indicates that the yeast is viable.

First, regarding your concern about the reliability of Brewers Best kits, My first 5 batches were BB kits, and all went off without a hitch in spite of my noob mistakes. Everything needed(yes, including yeast) is included.

Second BBs Milk Stout kit was my 2nd batch. Even though I've moved past extract kits, I do plan on doing another Milk Stout in the near future. In spite of drinking the entire batch WAAY to early, my wife(as well as a couple co-workers absolutely loved it).

Adding coffee beans does sound interesting but personally If I've never tried a given kit before, or was new to extract brewing in general, I'd leave it as is so I know exactly what its supposed to taste like before altering it.

singram said:
First, regarding your concern about the reliability of Brewers Best kits, My first 5 batches were BB kits, and all went off without a hitch in spite of my noob mistakes. Everything needed(yes, including yeast) is included.

Second BBs Milk Stout kit was my 2nd batch. Even though I've moved past extract kits, I do plan on doing another Milk Stout in the near future. In spite of drinking the entire batch WAAY to early, my wife(as well as a couple co-workers absolutely loved it).

Adding coffee beans does sound interesting but personally If I've never tried a given kit before, or was new to extract brewing in general, I'd leave it as is so I know exactly what its supposed to taste like before altering it.

Awesome, thanks . Brewed it last night. Didn't rehydrate the yeast and had some nice bubbling action this morning, was confused about the maltodextrin addition. I added it right at end if boil and mixed it up good. Do you remember when you added it? ( too late but maybe for next time I'll take note)

Do you remember when you added it?

Not off the top of my head, but I can say that I followed BBs instructions verbatim. Oh, wait, now that I'm thinking about it, I want to say the instructions called for it to be added at the same time as the Extract. Whatever it said, I did.

This kit is definitly worth the wait. It was tasty at first, then got downright awesome toward the end.

Awesome, thanks . Brewed it last night. Didn't rehydrate the yeast and had some nice bubbling action this morning, was confused about the maltodextrin addition. I added it right at end if boil and mixed it up good. Do you remember when you added it? ( too late but maybe for next time I'll take note)

I have the BB milk stout fermenting now. There was nothing in the directions for the Malto Dextrin. After reading up on here, it could be added anytime during boil.

I did contact them to let them know about it missing from the steps. They are aware and all new kits come with them.

Cool , yeah I knew I didn't see it after carefully scanning the paper,. Also I put this in primary sometime late Tuesday, at around 7 am airlock was bubblin pretty solidly and lasted all Wednesday, now it's pretty quiet and not much action.... Any thoughts?

Patience, grasshoppa. Gotta give it a couple weeks, its perfectly normal! Whats your fermentation temperature?

There was nothing in the directions for the Malto Dextrin

Look closely under step 4 Start Boil. I remember it took me awhile to find it too. So in answer to OPs question, add it at the start of the boil.:D

I wonder why they say to add it at the beginning of the boil? It is at most only 5% fermentable. It's there for more mouth feel,& a sort of creamy quality. As long as the wort is hot enough,it can be added at the end of the boil to get it dissolved & get the same effect. I still have a bag laying around.

Probably to avoid an extra step for a new extract brewer. Chuck it in with the DME, easy peazy. Your right though, I dont think it matters. If I do this kit again, I'll go the full boil route and add the dextrose with remaining 2/3rds of the DME 10 minutes till the end of boil.

I have the IPA kit to do next.. Tomorrow I pick up a couple of Falconers Flight. I tried to order the Black IPA.. but, hasn't come in yet. Very nice kits.

Can I get a fermentation time line? Mine went hard for a day and stopped ! L

I think mine only bubbled for a day or two. After my first or second batch, I really dont even look at the fermenter anymore till a couple days before bottling. Everyone says that the bubbles in the airlock are not an accurate indicator as to whats really going on, so why bother worrying about it.

Besides, with extract kits, I think you REALLY have to blow it to not succeed. The starch to sugar conversion has already been done for us, so as long as your kits fresh, and you dont under/over top-off, you will hit the predetermined OG and FG.

My first Brewers Best kit Red Ale kit is finally done. I left it in primary for 2 weeks and bottled for 3 weeks and it rocks. I had a draft Killians at Outback last night and it is exactly what I brewed at home, except my homebrew is a little better body and malty flavor. I couldn't be happier with my first BB kit. My friends are also big fans from their first tastings.

Typically,when bubbling slows down or stops,initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly ferment doen to a stable FG.

I bottled a brewers best red ale this weekend. this is my first, looking forward to popping one in a few weeks.

HbgBill ... I am brewing the BB Milk stout right now. In fact I am 4 minutes away to the aroma hops addition, WHILE drinking the Falconers Flight. LOLOL Life is good ... Its a great kit. I will say my kit has the maltodextrin addition in the instructions and I would find it hard to believe they have been able to get the correct instructions out allready if it was missing. Either way it smells great and I am going to add 4oz of cocoa hulls at 5 minutes. Hopefully to give it a touch more chocolate milk stout flavor :rockin:

Oh and while at the LHBS there was another guy there talking about how he was going to add coffee. We got to BSing and he bought some cocoa hulls too along with the coffee LOLOL. Maybe next time.

I just made the Brewers Best Milk stout about a week ago and I added a whole coconut (shaved and toasted) to the secondary. Can't wait!

I thought about throwing another 4 oz of chocolate hulls in the secondary. Dont really know if it would get much flavor from them without putting any heat to it. Probably make it smell even better :confused:

I have the BB English bitter kit. First BB kit for me. I Haven't brewed yet...I did notice that the instructions were for a 6.5 gallon fermenter, I have a 5 gallon bucket. Does it matter? or should I adjust the recipe etc...

Your fermenter should be at least 6.5G copacity for a 5G batch to allow decent head space. A 5G fermenter won't allow for this at all with a 5G brew.

Bottled my Milk Stout last night. Absolutely thrilled with the way this came out. A touch of coffee (which I think will mellow out after a few weeks in the bottle) and then a nice hint of chocolate. How do I know all this .. well there was about 1/2 a bottles worth left in the bucket .. And you know we do not let it go to waste :)

OH and the Kolsch .. It was a hit. Even the bmc drinkers enjoyed it. Hell my mom had three glasses LOL

Good to hear! The milk stout description reminds me of LHB's offering. It does have a smooth iced coffee taste to it with the roasty little stout hit on the back. yours with the chocolate hit should be quite good on top of that.

I haven't been impressed with Brewer's Best customer service so far. I emailed detailed msgs twice this past month re: their Belgian Tripel; still no reply or acknowledgement. Northern Brewer has almost immediate tech support every time I call. Munton's emails responses to questions within a few days usually. I see an 800# for BB, so maybe I'll try that before writing them off. I see they are owned by LD Carlson. Maybe that would be another website to seek support from.

Back